Exploring Creation with Astronomy, 2nd Edition, is part of the award-winning Young Explorer Series–voted the #1 homeschool science curriculum for over 11 years in a row. This set is not eligible for additional discounts. Additional Regular Notebooking Journals or Junior Notebooking Journals for Exploring Creation with Astronomy, 2nd Edition, may be purchased in the same order as this set for 10% off regular retail price.
PLEASE NOTE: This item is on backorder. We estimate it will be available to ship about September 12. Your entire order will be held and shipped when this item is available in our fulfillment center. Thank you.
What is Included in This Apologia Advantage Set™
The Exploring Creation with Astronomy, 2nd Edition, Advantage Set™ with Junior Notebooking Journal includes the textbook and Junior Notebooking Journal. A detailed description is listed below.
Homeschool Astronomy – Exploring Creation with Astronomy, 2nd Edition, Textbook
Exploring Creation with Astronomy, 2nd Edition, is a homeschool science course for elementary grades K-6 and part of our Young Explorer Series authored by Jeannie Fulbright. For over 11 years in a row, The Young Explorer Series has been voted the #1 homeschool science for elementary grades. Explore the farthest reaches of God’s creation with this new and revised edition of our award-winning astronomy course. With many hands-on activities to help young scientists retain what they learn, our science curriculum uses the Charlotte Mason methodology to introduce elementary-level students to the wonders of our solar system, the stars, and beyond. Our tour of the universe begins with our sun, the planets, the asteroid belt, dwarf planets, and the Kuiper belt. Then we set off across the stars to explore galaxies, nebulae, and even black holes as they reveal the marvel and might of our loving Creator. This title is part of the Young Explorer Series, authored by Jeannie Fulbright. View a sample by clicking the button below.
The sample opens in a new window.
What Does Astronomy Cover?
There are 13 lessons included in this one-year astronomy course. A detailed daily lesson plan is included in the Notebooking Journals. Lesson topics include:
- Our Solar System
- Clocks, Calendars, and Seasons
- Astronomers and Astronauts
- Solar Flares, Auroras, and Sunspots
- Rotation and Revolution
- The Moon’s Phases
- A Comet’s Orbit
- Jupiter’s Rings
What Do I Need to Use This Homeschool Astronomy Course?
To complete this astronomy course, we recommend the hard-cover textbook and spiral Regular Notebooking Journal (grades 4-6) or the Junior Notebooking Journal (grades K-3). This astronomy course for elementary grades is packed with a variety of hands-on activities, experiments, and projects. These can be completed with household materials. You can view the complete list of lab supplies by clicking the view button below.
The sample opens in a new window.
What Are Some of the Activities in This Astronomy Course?
The activities and projects use easy-to-find household items and truly make the lessons come alive! A Sampling of the course projects include:
- Build a model solar system
- Make a solar eclipse
- Make a compass
- Make a telescope
- Watch a meteor shower
- Launch a rocket
- Make clouds
- Locate constellations
What is the Daily Schedule for Astronomy?
We have provided a detailed daily schedule for astronomy in the front of each Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal. This schedule outlines what to read and what activities to complete, as it fits your family’s needs. We recommend that you spend 35 weeks covering this book, devoting more than 2 days per week to the course
Astronomy Junior Notebooking Journal for Exploring Creation with Astronomy, 2nd Edition
A perfect complement to Exploring Creation with Astronomy, 2nd Edition, the Astronomy Junior Notebooking Journal provides everything your student needs to complete this study of astronomy. Not only does it include all the helpful and creative features of our other Notebooking Journals in the Young Explorer Series, but if you purchased the Apologia Science Kit that corresponds to this title, there are extra activities for your student. This Junior Notebooking Journal will serve as your child’s notebook, providing a place for him to complete every assignment in the text. He will illustrate and record fascinating facts and information learned during each lesson, complete the notebooking assignments on specially designed templates, record experiments, activities and projects, complete vocabulary crossword puzzles, put together beautifully designed miniature books, and more! A detailed daily schedule is included in each of our Regular Notebooking Journals and Junior Notebooking Journals and makes planning a breeze! This schedule lists the pages to read in the textbook and the pages to complete in the journal. View a sample by clicking the button below.
The sample opens in a new window.
The Benefits of Using the Notebooking Journal
Keeping a scientific notebook has always been standard scientific practice. Apologia’s Notebooking Journals have been designed to:
- Facilitate retention and provide documentation of your student’s education. The unique personal written and artistic expressions incorporate both sides of the brain
- Be flexible and allows for multilevel learning. A twelve-year-old student may write an essay and make an elaborate illustration, while a six-year-old may write one sentence with a stick-figure drawing
- Help students record experiences, observations, and thoughts
- Engage students in the scientific process
- Provide a written history that students can reference as they explore new subject areas
- Give your student a place where they can record and organize experiences and observations
- Provides a place to review their notes to create opinions, and draw conclusions about the way their world works
What’s the Difference between the Regular Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal?
The Junior Notebooking Journals are designed for younger students who are still developing basic writing skills. These journals have easier crossword puzzles and activities, easier coloring pages, and wider writing lines. The Regular Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal are designed to work together to help accommodate teaching multiple ages in your homeschool.
What Is Included in the Exploring Creation with Astronomy Junior Notebooking Journal?
In this Notebooking Journal, you will find:
- A Suggested Schedule for completing the readings, notebooking assignments, activities, and experiments. We recommend that you spend approximately 35 weeks covering this book, devoting 2 days per week to the course.
- Fascinating Facts templates for your student to record what he or she learned in each lesson, using both words and illustrations
- Creative templates for completing the notebooking assignments
- Review Questions for each lesson, which can be answered orally or in writing as a written narration
- Scripture Copywork, including both print and cursive practice, which is a valuable method for not only practicing handwriting but also memorizing Scripture and teaching spelling, grammar and writing
- 2 coloring pictures per lesson
- Project Pages and Scientific Speculation Sheets for your student to use to keep records of experiments, projects, and activities completed throughout the course
- A selection of book and DVD suggestions to complement your student’s studies, as well as projects and experiments to help your student Dig In Deeper
- Beautiful, full-color, lapbook-style Miniature Books for your student to create, encouraging him or her to record facts and information learned in each lesson
- Field Trip Sheets your student can use to keep a record of field trips or outings enjoyed during his or her studies
- A Final Review with fifty questions to be answered either orally or in writing to show off all your student remembers and knows about astronomy
Your child will treasure his Notebooking Journal as he makes it his very own with words and illustrations, reflecting all he has learned in his pursuit of science. Additionally, the journal will serve as your record of your student’s scientific endeavors throughout the year. When your child flips through his notebook, he will be reminded of the knowledge he has attained as he peruses the pages he has created. A variety of activities include full-color mini-books, additional fun experiments, crosswords, and supplementary materials.
Additional Information About Apologia’s Young Explorer Series:
New to Apologia’s Young Explorer Series for K-6 homeschool science? Visit the Young Explorer Series information page to learn more.
Jeannie Fulbright discusses immersion learning: