Overview of Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Level 3
As a hands-on, interactive elementary math curriculum, Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Level 3 was designed to encourage your child’s thinking to soar to new heights on a joyous journey discovering new things about the world and its Creator. In level 3, students learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, data collection and graphing, fractions, and geometry. Filled with activities, projects, and games that guide your student’s comprehension of using numbers in everyday life, this curriculum also encourages your child to ponder creation on a new level.
Parents Love This Curriculum:
“This math has been a game-changer in our house! I would battle so much with my daughter over math. Now, she asks to do it first and sometimes completes more than what is required! Thank you for releasing a product that has given me confidence we can continue homeschooling without the fight every day.”
“I love the layout of Exploring Creation with Mathematics. Each lesson incorporates mastery with spiral review included. It’s the perfect blend for my son without the overwhelm.”
“Thank you for creating such a fantastic math curriculum! Apologia Math is the perfect fit for our daughter!”
“We purchased Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Levels 1 & 2 for my two children. Last year, my daughter was often in tears when she was doing math. However, this year she gets excited once she starts her lesson for the day; she loves it! Thank you!”
“We have really enjoyed this curriculum! Easy to use and prep for! Such a natural approach to math! I have tried so many 1st-grade math curriculums. This one is my favorite!”
“This curriculum (Exploring Creation with Mathematics) is the perfect balance of practice problems and hands-on activities. My daughter has loved all the games. I highly recommend it!”
“We are several weeks into our Apologia Math book, and my daughter begs to just do one more lesson at the end of every day! Thanks for such a fun math adventure.”
“Thank you so much for writing this math curriculum. My son absolutely LOVES it, and we are having so much fun together. Math is his favorite subject, and he looks forward to it every day.”
“I have been recommending your math books to all the homeschool moms. Thank you for everything you contribute to the homeschooling world. We are grateful!”
What is Included in Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Level 3, Basic Set
The Basic Set includes the spiral bound All-in-One Student Text and Workbook and the Teaching Guide & Answer Key.
Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Level 3, All-in-One Student Text and Workbook
This course is a rich introduction to elementary math. Level 3 covers:
- Addition and Subtraction
- Time, Weight
- Data and Graphs
- Perimeter, Area
The Exploring Creation with Mathematics series utilizes a mastery approach with lots of review. The author, Kathryn Gomes, connects the topics using a built-in review with the skills practice sections. Hands-on projects introduce and reinforce concepts in a deeper way.
The author moves through the material following a specific progression and 4-step approach. Each lesson utilizes problems and projects and begins with a tangible presentation, then moves through a pictorial presentation of the concept, followed by an abstract presentation, and finishes with an application activity. The projects apply math to the student’s life to foster an appreciation for math and help them look forward to doing math every day.
Review our math placement guide to determine which level will best fit your child.
5 Key Components of Apologia Math for Elementary Grades
Plenty of Skills Practice
Each day, Exploring Creation with Mathematics has the student spend 5-10 minutes reviewing a previously-learned skill. We provide relevant options for the parent and student to consider based on their needs. At the elementary level, a sizeable part of the content is math facts that must be memorized. In addition to the daily lessons, students are also assigned skills practice for each day. Games and activities that are easy to set up are listed in the Teaching Guide & Answer Key. These practice sessions ensure that students remain well prepared and confident with their current knowledge when learning to incorporate new concepts.
While learning math for the sake of math is admirable, Apologia believes that you shouldn’t study math to pass a test, excel in a school subject, or even advance a career. The true purpose behind mathematics is to learn more about the God who created it. Math is a part of Creation and as such it mirrors aspects of God. We can witness His beauty, faithfulness, and love as we study numbers. Each unit within the Exploring Creation with Mathematics series helps students make these connections as it opens with “Seeing Our Creator” sections that connect the student with the mathematical journey they are beginning.
Fun and Engaging
If you associate numbers with pages of equations, you haven’t looked at an Apologia Exploring Creation with Mathematics title. Combining color, photos, hands-on activities, engaging projects, and plenty of games, each lesson’s design presents math as an accessible and exciting subject. Let’s take a peek into these books. The lesson layout in Levels 1 through 3 and the carefully crafted activities present math as an accessible and exciting subject. Each Exploring Creation with Mathematics course will take your child through a solid and thorough year of math. Each unit in Exploring Creation with Mathematics culminates in end-of-the-unit projects that reinforce the math the student has learned through real-world scenarios. We build up to complex concepts gradually, with just enough challenge each day.
Ease of Use
The structure of Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Levels 1, 2, and 3 is designed with maximum flexibility so that families can adjust the assignments as necessary and still succeed. Each day, students complete the lesson and skills practice listed on the daily schedule found in the accompanying Teaching Guide and Answer Key. Parents can check their student’s answers easily with the thumbnail images of each worksheet. The answers are clearly visible for ease of use.
Bonus Content Online
Every Apologia title has its own website. These Book Extras contain additional materials that help parents and students succeed.
- Relevant websites, such as electronic games or places to create your own worksheets
- A printable PDF of every consumable page found in the Teaching Guide and Answer Key
- Additional printable PDF worksheets for students who are struggling with a concept and may need additional encouragement.
- Colorful and age-appropriate lesson layouts and page design make learning more inviting for your student
- Options and suggestions for adjusting a lesson if your child is struggling or if your child is advancing quickly through the material are provided
- Supply lists, answers to the problems, teaching tips, and suggestions for taking an activity further are also given.
- What You’ll Find Inside Exploring Creation with Mathematics
Each of the first three grade levels in Apologia’s homeschool elementary math curriculum has 2 components:
- A consumable, spiral-bound All-in-One Student Text and Workbook
- A softcover Teaching Guide & Answer Key
Each level of the student workbook follows the same design:
- Units open with a section on “Seeing Our Creator” in mathematics. They also include the “Skills Practice” that students will review while working on new materials. Units are divided into individual Chapters.
- Chapters cover individual concepts and are divided into discreet daily lessons.
- Daily lessons consist of an opening hands-on activity that uses common household items, textual materials to explain any new concepts, and a practice worksheet. Hands-on activities include games and projects using the provided activity sheets and everyday household products give your child tangible connections to the abstract concepts learned.
Exploring Creation with Mathematics Teaching Guide & Answer Key, Levels 1, 2, and 3 contains:
- A 28-week lesson plan broken into 4-days/week. This suggested daily schedule was designed with thoughtful pacing through concepts that reflect a systematic progression from one skill to the next, is most important for eliminating frustration.
- Teacher Notes for each unit, including teaching tips and suggestions for taking an activity further are also given.
- Supply list for each unit (a complete supply list is also available)
- Skills Practice suggestions and ideas
- Teacher Notes for individual lessons, where needed
- Options and suggestions for adjusting a lesson if your child is struggling or if your child is advancing quickly through the material are provided.
- At-a-glance answer key for each workbook page
- Consumable worksheets (copies are also located on each title’s Book Extras site)
More About the Daily Schedule and Supplies
Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Level 3, contains the following lesson layout:
- 7 units
- 13 chapters
- 100 lessons
- 340 pages
The suggested Daily Schedule included with each course is based on four days a week for 28 weeks. We encourage you to adjust it to the needs of your child and your family’s schedule. On average, each lesson takes 30 to 45 minutes. However, this time may vary if your child is taking a hands-on project a little further or is needing a little extra time to complete a skills practice. On a typical day, your student will spend about 5 to 10 minutes reviewing concepts previously learned, participate in a fun, hands-on activity that introduces a new concept, and then apply the new concept by working through practice worksheets. You will also need to gather some common household items and purchase a few common math manipulative items to fully use this course. Common household items include things like dry beans for counting. Math manipulatives include items like a base ten block set. A complete list is available for each grade, and materials are reused within different grades as applicable for concepts being taught.