This is the self-paced version of Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition. Your student will complete this self-paced course via the Self-Paced by Apologia portal on the Canvas platform. The one-year access to this course begins at time of purchase. Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, authored by Sherri Seligson, is an award-winning, college-preparatory high school science course for homeschool students. This updated edition is even more user-friendly and comes with a complete set of self-directed learning tools, to make sure that all students thrive, whatever their learning style.
Recommended Grade Level: 10th-12th
- This is the online self-paced version that is completed via the Self-Paced by Apologia portal on the Canvas platform.
- The one-year access to this course begins at time of purchase.
- You will not receive any physical copies of the textbook, MP3 Audio CD, or the Solutions and Tests Manual. These items are incorporated into the self-paced portal.
- The Student Notebook for this course is highly recommended.
- Return Policy: Any Self-Paced purchase is eligible for cancellation/refund if the request is made within 14 days from date purchase OR account activity is under 10 hours, whichever comes first. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your refund request.
- Before purchase, please be sure you have read the browser and system requirements for Canvas, the platform on which Apologia Self-Paced is built. If you are unsure if you meet these requirements, please try the free demo of any Self-Paced course.
What’s Included In Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, Using Apologia’s Self-Paced Platform?
The self-paced version of Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, offers one-year access from the date of purchase to the following features:
- Full online curriculum text of Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, authored by Sherri Seligson. This is the digital version of the textbook. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the textbook.
- An audio reading of the text that your student can select to enhance online reading. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the MP3 Audio CD.
- The Video Instruction course material, featuring Sherri Seligson as the instructor, integrated into the daily assignments. This is the same material included in the Video Instruction Thumb Drive for Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the Video Instruction Thumb Drive.
- Easy-to-do at-home experiments from the textbook that are also featured in the video instruction.
- On Your Own and Study Guide materials are the same as those in the print version of the textbook. The Self-Paced portal provides answers to these questions.
- Unique tests complete with automatic grading
- Desktop and mobile access
Overview of Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition
This homeschool Marine Biology course is rigorous and thorough. We recommend it as an upper-level high school course as it requires knowledge of general biology and assumes that students have previously participated in biological lab activities such as experiments, dissections, and microscopy. This is one of the few homeschool science courses that include an entire education on ecology. The creator-God designed the earth’s astonishing ecosystem for his glory and the needs of his creatures, and it is a crucially important science for Christians in our day to understand accurately. Apologia is known for texts that are very accessible — conversational and easy to absorb — even when the matter being discussed is very complex in nature. This text by Sherri Seligson is a prime example of that. It is clear that she is at once an extremely knowledgeable scientist and someone who has homeschooled her own children and knows how to teach and communicate with them well.
Topics covered include:
- The Process of Life
- Geography of the Oceans
- Reproduction in the Sea
- Classifying Life in the Sea
- Kingdom Protista: The Unicellular Algae
- Kingdom Protista: The Marine Protozoans
- Kingdom Protista: The Multicellular Algae
- Kingdom Monera
- Kingdom Fungi
- Kingdom Plantae
- Marine Invertebrates
- Marine Vertebrates
- Marine Ecology
- The Intertidal Zone
- Estuary Communities
- Coral Reefs
- Continental Shelf Communities
- The Epipelagic Zone
- The Deep Ocean
- Ocean Resources
- Effects of Humans of the Sea
Solutions and Tests Manual
A separate purchase of the Solutions and Tests Manual is not needed. The answers to all On Your Own and Study Guide questions have been integrated into the self-paced platform. The tests for the self-paced version of this course have been exclusively designed for this platform with automatic grading. An explanation for each test answer is included so the student can check their work and review once the test has been submitted.
The audiobook is incorporated into the self-paced version of Marine Biology. Your student can click on the audio links and listen to the audiobook version right inside the self-paced platform! This is the same content that is found on the MP3 Audio Book CD.
Video Instruction Material
The video instruction for this course is integrated into the self-paced platform. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the Video Instruction Thumb Drive. In the videos that are integrated into the self-paced platform, Sherri Seligson lectures over the material in each section of the textbook, using visual animations and on-location video clips. This helps students absorb the concepts in a richer and more engaging way, and it encompasses all types of learners. The animations help explain more difficult concepts in a three-dimensional, interactive way rather than in a static, two-dimensional text only. And the medium allows students to review material until they really understand it. Additionally, videos of all the experiments are included, so parents and students can better understand how to set them up at home. Complete explanations of the labs are provided too.
Additional Recommended Purchases Needed When Using Apologia Self-Paced:
The Student Notebook for Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, is highly recommended. You will need to purchase this separately. It does NOT automatically ship when you purchase this Apologia Self-Paced course.
Colleges want to see a lab component on your student’s high school transcript. This isn’t optional, and Apologia’s award-winning homeschool high school marine biology course and the Student Notebook is designed to meet this requirement without stressing your homeschool environment. Plus, note-taking helps increase retention of information, review for tests, and produce a record of their thoughts as they connect the ideas presented in the textbook with their own ideas. Additionally, a student notebook helps students keep a carefully organized, detailed, and complete lab notebook, recording labs they conducted using proper scientific methodology. Taking good notes can make the difference between mastering a concept and not quite understanding it. Good notes provide the following advantages:
- Students stay focused on what they are reading.
- Students pay closer attention, which will increase their retention.
- Students have their own version of the text to review for tests.
- Students learn to connect new information to what they already know.
Apologia Student Notebooks are specifically designed to help students be independent and take responsibility for their science studies as they gain and maintain their personal abilities to create structure and logic through note-taking. The notebook contains:
- A suggested daily schedule
- Note-taking pages
- Instruction in the Cornell note-taking system
- Space to answer all study questions found in the textbook
- Lab report forms for each experiment in the text will help your student master the process of writing a complete lab report
- Illustrations that are not found in the textbook which ensure that the student is indeed learning all that they can from their labs
- “Design Your Own Experiment” section walks students through the steps involved in designing and conducting their own experiments
About the Student Notebook author: Vicki Dincher holds a master’s degree in biology. Her four children, all homeschooled, have earned or are pursuing graduate degrees in the sciences. Vicki has taught high school science, including Advanced Placement courses, since 1995.
Enjoy a Demo of Self-Paced by Apologia
Try out Self-Paced by Apologia for free. Module 1 of Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, is available to take for a test drive! The demo is openly accessible to you with no time limit and features the first complete module of the course.
Click “Try Demo,” and you will be redirected to canvas.instructure.com. If you do not already have a Canvas account, you will need to create one. You can do this by clicking “Need a Canvas Account” in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Enter a valid email address and a password. Click “Try Demo” again, and you can now login with your created account.Try Demo