God’s oceans are an amazing ecosystem full of fascinating, even bizarre creatures with cool abilities that are extremely intriguing. Sherri Seligson’s own excitement about the world of marine biology is contagious and draws students into that underwater realm to explore with her. This is one of the few homeschool science courses that include an entire education on ecology. The creator-God designed the earth’s astonishing ecosystem for his glory and the needs of his creatures, and it is a crucially important science for Christians in our day to understand accurately.
This fascinating homeschool Marine Biology course is recommended for high school students with knowledge of general biology and assumes that students have previously participated in biological lab activities such as experiments, dissections, and microscopy.
Recommended Grade Level: 10th-12th
What’s Included In Apologia’s Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, Super Set?
The Exploring Creation with Marine Biology Super Set includes five items from the marine biology product line: the softcover student textbook, Solutions & Tests Manual (a set of test pages is shrink-wrapped with the manual), Student Notebook, MP3 Audio CD, and Video Instruction Thumb Drive.
This is one of the few homeschool science courses that include an entire education on ecology. The creator-God designed the earth’s astonishing ecosystem for his glory and the needs of his creatures, and it is a crucially important science for Christians in our day to understand accurately.
- Please note that our marine biology second edition textbook has been reprinted in a softcover version. This set contains the new softcover textbook.
- To receive a full refund, all items within this set must be returned unopened. If only some of the products are returned the refund amount will be adjusted accordingly and the discount will be forfeited.
- Once the Solutions & Tests Manual is opened, it is not eligible for a return. Once the MP3 CD is opened, it is not eligible for return. Once the Video Instruction Thumb Drive is opened, it is not eligible for a return.
Overview of Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, Softcover Textbook
Apologia is known for texts that are very accessible — conversational and easy to absorb — even when the matter being discussed is very complex in nature. This softcover student text by Sherri Seligson is a prime example of that. It is clear that she is at once an extremely knowledgeable scientist and someone who has homeschooled her own children and knows how to teach and communicate with them well.
Topics covered include:
- The Process of Life
- Geography of the Oceans
- Reproduction in the Sea
- Classifying Life in the Sea
- Kingdom Protista: The Unicellular Algae
- Kingdom Protista: The Marine Protozoans
- Kingdom Protista: The Multicellular Algae
- Kingdom Monera
- Kingdom Fungi
- Kingdom Plantae
- Marine Invertebrates
- Marine Vertebrates
- Marine Ecology
- The Intertidal Zone
- Estuary Communities
- Coral Reefs
- Continental Shelf Communities
- The Epipelagic Zone
- The Deep Ocean
- Ocean Resources
- Effects of Humans of the Sea
Solutions & Tests Manual
The Solutions and Tests Manual for Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, contains answers to Study Guide questions, module summaries, and tests, and contains the blank tests. A set of test pages is shrink-wrapped with the manual.
Please Note: Once the shrink wrap is removed, this product is not eligible for return.
This high-quality spiral-bound notebook is specifically designed to help your student make a successful transition to high school science. This homeschool resource will help them feel accomplished and be more independent, organized, and prepared.
Note-taking helps increase retention of information, review for tests, and produce a record of their thoughts as they connect the ideas presented in the textbook with their own ideas.
Taking good notes can make the difference between mastering a concept and not quite understanding it. Good notes provide the following advantages:
- Students stay focused on what they are reading.
- Students pay closer attention, which will increase their retention.
- Students have their own version of the text to review for tests.
- Students learn to connect new information to what they already know.
Additionally, a Student Notebook helps students keep a carefully organized, detailed, and complete lab notebook, recording labs they conducted using proper scientific methodology.
Apologia Student Notebooks are specifically designed to help students be independent and take responsibility for their science studies as they gain and maintain their personal abilities to create structure and logic through note-taking.
The Student Notebook contains:
- A suggested daily schedule
- Note-taking pages
- Instruction in the Cornell note-taking system
- Space to answer all study questions found in the textbook
- Lab report forms for each experiment in the text, which will help your student master the process of writing a complete lab report
- Illustrations that are not found in the textbook which ensure that the student is indeed learning all that they can from their labs
About the Student Notebook author: Vicki Dincher holds a master’s degree in biology. Her four children, all homeschooled, have earned or are pursuing graduate degrees in the sciences. Vicki has taught high school science, including Advanced Placement courses, since 1995.
MP3 Audio CD:
This CD contains a complete audio recording of the course Exploring Creation With Marine Biology, 2nd Edition. Although the audio for the complete text and “On Your Own” problems is included on the CD, the audio for the study guides, tests, and answers is not included. This is the perfect accompaniment to the book for students who are auditory learners, slow readers, or have other learning disabilities that make reading difficult.
This item is not returnable once opened! Please note that this is not a standard CD. It is an MP3 CD. This means that in order to listen to this CD, you must play it in an MP3-compatible CD player or on a computer. Although this audiobook is a direct reading from the textbook, occasionally words or sentences have been altered in the recording to ensure a high-quality listening experience, and the words in the book, therefore, may not track exactly with the words of the audio.
Video Instruction Thumb Drive:
In the videos that accompany Exploring Creation with Marine Biology, 2nd Edition, Sherri Seligson presents the information using using PowerPoint slides, visual animations, and on-location video clips. This helps students absorb the concepts in a richer and more engaging way, and it encompasses all types of learners. The animations help explain more difficult concepts in a three-dimensional, interactive way rather than in a static, two-dimensional text only. And the medium allows students to review material until they really understand it. The lectures correspond to all the titled sections of the textbook.
Additionally, videos of all the experiments are included, so parents and students can better understand how to set them up at home. Complete explanations of the labs are provided as well.
What Customers Say About Sherri Seligson’s Video Instruction:
“The Instructional Videos has made it so much easier for me to stay focused. Because of this, I am loving the General Science course. My favorite module so far has been Marine Biology. So much of what you say is easy for me to understand and relate to.” ~ Student
“When you reference the Bible, I understand SO much. I would not have gotten this information with mainstream curriculum. Noah’s flood and the Grand Canyon make total sense. This should be essential in education. Thank you so much for making these videos!” ~ Student
- The video content is presented on a USB thumb drive.
- Once this product is opened, it is not eligible for a return.
To use this USB product you must have:
- A USB port on your Windows or Mac computer (USB 2.0 or higher)
- A web browser to display the menu on the disc (no internet connection required)
- A program capable of playing .mp4 files (such as QuickTime, VLC Player, or Windows Media Player)