Exploring Creation with Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures is part of the award-winning Young Explorer Series–voted the #1 homeschool science curriculum for over 12 years in a row.
PLEASE NOTE: This item is on backorder. We estimate it will be available to ship about September 12. Your entire order will be held and shipped when this item is available in our fulfillment center. Thank you.
This set is not eligible for additional discounts. Additional regular Notebooking Journals or Junior Notebooking Journals for Exploring Creation with Zoology 2 may be purchased in the same order as this set for 15% off regular retail price.
What is Included in This Apologia SuperSet™
The Exploring Creation with Zoology 2 SuperSet™ with Regular Notebooking Journal includes the textbook and regular Notebooking Journal, and MP3 audio CD. A detailed description is listed below.
Please note that the MP3 CD is not returnable once opened.
Exploring Creation with Zoology 2: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day Textbook
From the rivers and streams to the mighty ocean, God filled the Earth’s waters with animals great and small. Upon His word, enormous whales sprung into being. At His command, billions of plankton leapt to life. On that day, millions of creatures like the strapping sea turtles, the skulking sharks, the delightful dolphins, and the soaring squid gladly joined their fellow sea animals. Strong swimming bass traveled the rivers past the creeping crayfish and the sluggardly snails. How joyously crammed with excitement was the fifth day of Earth’s existence!
Apologia’s second zoology book will take you and your family on an exploration into the wonders of the swimming creatures made on the fifth day of creation. You’ll begin with a big splash from the whales and dolphins, then spy on seals and meet manatees before swimming with the sea turtles, snakes, and salamanders. You’ll even peek in on the primeval plesiosaurus and its pals.
Following your frolic with fish and sharks, you’ll uncover the world of crabby crustaceans, sea snails, clams, and their soft-bodied friends like the octopus, squid, and nautilus. You’ll consort with corals, find flowers that devour plankton, see stars and feathers that walk, leap and roll, and discover dollars that disappear in the sand and sponges that clean more than you might think.
From the microscopic to massive, no stone is left unturned in your student’s passage through the waters of the world. The creatures your student studies will come to life as your student creates replicas of them and adds them to his “Ocean Box” – a miniature hand-crafted aquarium. As always, each lesson ends with an experiment or project reinforcing the scientific method and the concepts studied. Among other experiments and projects, your student will try on blubber, investigate a shark’s ability to sense electrical currents, explore how whales can hear sounds that come from far away and learn through experimentation which creatures make the best fossils. No matter how near or far you live from the ocean, you and your students will wonder at God’s designs in the amazing aquatic animals He formed on the fifth day.
Apologia’s second zoology book will take you and your family on a delightful exploration into the wonders of the swimming creatures.
The sample opens in a new window.
What Does Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures Cover?
There are 13 lessons included in this one-year Zoology 2 course. A detailed daily lesson plan is included in the Notebooking Journals.
Lesson topics include:
- Aquatic animals: Aqua Mobility, Filter Feeders, Currents, Fresh Water, Salt Water, The Continental Shelf, Abyssal Animals
- Seals and Sea Cows
- Aquatic Herps: Ectotherms, Turtles, Sea Snakes
- Reptiles vs Amphibians
- Primeval Reptiles
- Fish: Bony Fish, Gills, Fins, Stages of Life
- Sharks and Rays
- Crustaceans: Exoskeletons, Lobsters, Crayfish, Crabs, Shrimp, Barnacles, Trilobites
- Sponges, Sea Squirts, Leeches, Flatworms
- And much more!
What Do I Need to Use This Homeschool Zoology 2 Course?
To complete this Zoology 2 course, we recommend the hard-cover textbook and spiral Notebooking Journal (grades 4-6) or the Junior Notebooking Journal for early elementary ages or children with limited writing skills.
This Zoology 2 course for elementary grades is packed with a variety of hands-on activities, experiments, and projects. These can be completed with household materials. You can view the complete list of lab supplies by clicking the button below.
The sample opens in a new window.
What Are Some of the Activities in This Zoology 2 Course?
The activities and projects use easy-to-find household items and truly make the lessons come alive!
A sampling of the course projects include:
- Creating a miniature hand-crafted aquarium and fill with replicas of favorite swimming creatures
- Experiments that involve trying on blubber
- Investigating a shark’s ability to sense electrical currents
- Activities that explore how whales can hear sounds that come from far away
- Discovering which creatures make the best fossils
What is the Daily Schedule for Zoology 2?
We have provided a detailed daily schedule for Zoology 2 in the front of each Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal. This schedule specifically outlines what to read and what activities to complete, as it fits your family’s needs.
We recommend that you spend the entire school year covering this book, devoting approximately two sessions per week to the course.
Regular Notebooking Journal for Exploring Creation with Zoology 2
A perfect complement to Exploring Creation with Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day, the Zoology 2 Notebooking Journal provides everything your student needs to complete his study of Zoology 2. Not only does it include all the wonderful features of our other Notebooking Journals in the Young Explorer Series, but it also includes many additional activities, projects and experiments that can be completed in one day or less.
This notebooking journal will serve as your child’s individual notebook, providing a place for him to complete every assignment in the text. He will illustrate and record fascinating facts and information learned during each lesson, complete the notebooking assignments on specially designed templates, record experiments, activities and projects, complete vocabulary crossword puzzles, put together beautifully designed miniature books, and more!
The Benefits of Using the Notebooking Journal
Keeping a scientific notebook has always been standard scientific practice. Apologia’s Notebooking Journals have been designed to:
- Facilitate retention and provide documentation of your student’s education. The unique personal written and artistic expressions incorporate both sides of the brain
- Be flexible and allows for multilevel learning. A twelve-year-old student may write an essay and make an elaborate illustration, while a six-year-old may write one sentence with a stick-figure drawing
- Help students record experiences, observations, and thoughts
- Engage students in the scientific process
- Provide a written history that students can reference as they explore new subject areas
- Give your student a place where they can record and organize experiences and observations
- Provides a place to review their notes to create opinions, and draw conclusions about the way their world works
What’s the Difference between the Regular Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal?
The regular Notebooking Journal for Exploring Creation with Zoology 2: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day is recommended for use with students who have mastered handwriting, can take notes, and enjoy upper elementary level activities. The regular Notebooking Journals include the following features that are not in the Junior Notebooking Journals:
- Lengthy and technical Vocabulary Crosswords
- What Do You Remember? Written review questions
- Final Review section
The Junior Notebooking Journals are designed for younger students who are still developing basic writing skills. These journals have easier crossword puzzles and activities, easier crossword puzzles and activities, and wider writing lines.
The regular Notebooking Journals and Junior Notebooking Journals are designed to work together to help accommodate teaching multiple ages in your homeschool.
What Is Included in the Exploring Creation with Zoology 2 Regular Notebooking Journal?
In this Notebooking Journal, you will find:
- A Suggested Schedule for completing the readings, notebooking assignments, activities, and experiments utilizing a two-day per week plan
- Fascinating Facts templates for your student to record what he or she learned in each lesson, using both words and illustrations
- Creative templates for completing the notebooking assignments
- Review Questions for each lesson, which can be answered orally or in writing as a written narration
- Scripture Copywork, including both print and cursive practice, which is a valuable method for not only practicing handwriting but also memorizing Scripture and teaching spelling, grammar and writing
- Project Pages and Scientific Speculation Sheets for your student to use to keep records of experiments, projects, and activities completed throughout the course
- A selection of book and DVD suggestions to complement your student’s studies, as well as projects and experiments to help your student Dig In Deeper
- Beautiful, full-color, lapbook-style Miniature Books for your student to create, encouraging him or her to record facts and information learned in each lesson
- Field Trip Sheets your student can use to keep a record of field trips or outings enjoyed during his or her studies
- A Final Review with fifty questions to be answered either orally or in writing to show off all your student remembers and knows about Zoology 2
Your child will treasure his Notebooking Journal as he makes it his very own with words and illustrations, reflecting all he has learned in his pursuit of science. Additionally, the journal will serve as your record of your student’s scientific endeavors throughout the year. When your child flips through his notebook, he will be reminded of the knowledge he has attained as he peruses the pages he has created. A variety of activities include full-color mini-books, additional fun experiments, crosswords, and supplementary materials.
The sample opens in a new window.
MP3 Audio CD of the Textbook
This MP3 CD contains a complete audio recording of the course Exploring Creation with Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures as read by the author, Jeannie Fulbright. This is the perfect accompaniment to the book for students who are auditory learners, struggling readers, or have other learning disabilities that make reading difficult. It can also be used for students who are not reading on their own yet, or for the entire family to enjoy together.
Please note that this item is not returnable once opened!
Please note that this is not a standard CD. It is an MP3 CD. This means that in order to listen to this CD, you must play it in an MP3-compatible CD player or on a computer. Please note that although this audiobook is a direct reading from the textbook, occasionally words or sentences have been altered in this recording to ensure a high-quality listening experience, and the words in the book, therefore, may not track exactly with the words of the audio.
You may hear a sample of by clicking on the sample audio button below.
The sample opens in a new window.
Click the Read More Info button below to view a helpful resource listing the MP3 CD tracks and files.
The file opens in a new window.
Additional Information About Apologia’s Young Explorer Series:
New to Apologia’s Young Explorer Series for K-6 homeschool science? Visit the Young Explorer Series information page to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Young Explorer Series:
Jeannie Fulbright discusses immersion learning: