Voted #1 Creation-Based High School Homeschool Biology Course Over 12 Years in a Row
This high school biology course is designed to be your high school student’s first science course. As a college-prep high school biology course, it will set the stage for success in their homeschool years in high school, prepare them for
Providing a detailed introduction to the methods and concepts of general biology, our award-winning, homeschool, high school biology covers:
• A heavy emphasis on the vocabulary of biology so that students are properly prepared to have scientific discussions
• A strong background in the scientific method so that students are trained for laboratory sciences in other high school science courses, as well as university studies
• Labs that cover experimentation, field studies, microscopy, and dissection
• Introduction to classification, biochemistry, cellular biology, molecular and Mendelian genetics, evolution, ecosystems, and much more.
What Information You Will Find on This Page
- Overview of Apologia’s Homeschool High School Biology Course
- Table of Contents
- A Year of Apologia’s Homeschool High School Biology
- The Importance of a Lab Component in a High School Science Course
- The Importance of a Student Notebook in a High School Science Course
- Apologia Biology: Basic Set, Advantage Set, SuperSet
- Additional Resources: Video and Online Learning Options
- Available Products for Exploring Creation with Biology
Sample Video And Free Preview
Overview of Our Homeschool-Friendly and Comprehensive High School Biology Course
Our award-winning, creation-based science curriculum helps students investigate, discover, recognize, appreciate, discuss, and understand the wonders of Creation.
High school students are equipped for college studies with our academically rigorous curriculum because we aren’t just a textbook. Using a conversational tone, we present challenging science concepts and thought-provoking experiments in an easily navigated, personalized format to help students methodically learn, self-check, and master difficult concepts before moving on.
We keep science relevant. Additional online materials are available through a book extras portal so that students can see science in action.
Table of Contents
The Table of Contents for Exploring Creation with Biology is as follows:
- Module 1: Biology – The Study of Life
- Module 2: Kingdom Monera
- Module 3: Kingdom Protista
- Module 4: Kingdom Fungi
- Module 5: The Chemistry of Life
- Module 6: The Cell
- Module 7: Cellular Reproduction and DNA
- Module 8: Mendelian Genetics
- Module 9: Evolution: Part Scientific Theory, Part Unconfirmed Hypothesis
- Module 10: Ecology
- Module 11: The Invertebrates of Kingdom Animalia
- Module 12: Phylum Arthropoda
- Module 13: Phylum Chordata
- Module 14: Kingdom Plantae: Anatomy and Classification
- Module 15: Kingdom Plantae: Physiology and Reproduction
Ready to Shop
for Apologia Products?
A Year of Apologia Homeschool High School Biology
A flexible daily schedule is provided in your student’s notebook so that they can independently work on their science assignments.
A typical week requires studying
Laboratory exercises are conducted throughout each module so that students have a hands-on lab component in their scientific study. These have been designed to easily work in the homeschool environment.
At the end of each of 16 modules which take about 2 weeks each to complete, there are Study Guides to help students review their materials before taking their exams. Detailed answers to these questions are provided in the Solutions and Test Manual.
If a student is having difficulty with a module, optional module summaries are available to provide additional support towards a student’s retention and success.
Module exams and quarterly exams, as well as detailed answers, are provided in the Test and Solutions Manual.
Our oldest daughter entered college a year early. Her hard work and the way in which Apologia teaches has helped her breeze through her cell biology course. We so appreciate all you are doing. Thank you.
The Importance of a Student Notebook in a High School Science Curriculum
High school students take notes to increase retention of information, review for tests, and produce a record of their thoughts as they connect the ideas presented in the textbook with their own ideas.
Additionally, a student notebook helps students keep a carefully organized, detailed, and complete lab notebook, recording labs they conducted using proper scientific methodology.
Taking good notes while reading a high school science text can make the difference between mastering a concept and not quite understanding it. Good notes provide the following advantages:
- Students stay focused on what they are reading.
- Students pay closer attention, which will increase their retention.
- Students have their own version of the text to review for tests.
- Students learn to connect new information to what they already know.
Apologia Student Notebooks for our homeschool high school biology course are specifically designed to help students be independent and take responsibility for their science studies as they gain and maintain the personal abilities to create structure and logic through note taking.
Apologia Student Notebooks are strongly linked to their corresponding textbooks. They provide structured space for:
The Importance of a Lab Component in a High School Science Curriculum
Colleges want to see a lab component on your student’s high school transcript. This isn’t optional, and Apologia’s award-winning homeschool high school biology course is designed to meet this requirement.
Throughout their academic school year, students will conduct controlled experiments where they observe a problem, ask a question, formulate a testable hypothesis, and then conduct the experiment and analyze the data to see if their results support their hypothesis. It involves quantitative data that require measurements. The lab portion of Apologia guides a student through this process.
Additionally, students will conduct descriptive experiments to use their five senses to make qualitative observations and describe what they learn. This includes microscope work, field studies of organisms in their natural habitats, and dissections. Again, our homeschool curriculum was designed with your student’s success in mind, and we guide students through this process with detailed descriptions and photographs.
Basic Set, Advantage Set, and SuperSet
Exploring Creation with Biology is available as a Basic Set, Advantage Set, or a SuperSet. Components included in each are as follows:
- Basic Set: Hardcover textbook and softcover Solutions and Test Manual
- Advantage Set: Hardcover textbook, softcover Solutions and Test Manual, and spiral bound Student Notebook
- SupserSet: Hardcover textbook, softcover Solutions and Test Manual, spiral bound Student Notebook, MP3 audiobook CD, and video instruction
Additional Support: Video and Online Options
This comprehensive homeschool high school biology course was created to accommodate a wide range of student abilities. To ensure every student’s success, Apologia has created materials to meet every student’s learning style.
Auditory Learners: Sometimes students learn best when they can see and hear what they’re studying. Apologia Audio Books are the complete text of the course read aloud. Students can follow along with the audio while reading their textbooks
Visual Learners: Sometimes the subject matter is easier to comprehend when the topic is animated and presented by a knowledgeable instructor. Apologia Video Instructional DVDs enhance the student’s education with more than 20 hours of instruction, including on-location video footage, PowerPoint lectures, animated diagrams of difficult concepts, and video presentations of all experiments
Social Learners: Some students learn best when they can interact with others in an online setting and ask questions of a live instructor. With the Apologia Online Academy, students can interact in real time with both their classmates and a professional instructor in a structured virtual classroom. Also, we offer recordings of all our live classes on the Online Academy Video-On-Demand Channel
Apologia’s high school science courses help your students interactively participate in their educations by fostering their natural inquisitiveness. We recognize that to cultivate curiosity, we must partner with it. Throughout their high school years, your students will experience personal scientific encounters that turn facts into a meaningful and natural extension of what they already know about their world and their Creator. We thank you for considering Apologia science for your homeschool.
Biology Complete Microscope Set$310.00
Apologia SuperSet™ Biology 2nd Edition$309.00
Biology 2nd Edition Video Instruction Thumb Drive$207.00
Apologia Advantage Set™ Biology 2nd Edition$119.00
Apologia Basic Set – Biology 2nd Edition$89.00
Biology Complete Slide Set$85.00
Biology 2nd Edition Student Textbook$72.00
Biology 2nd Edition Full Course CD-Rom$65.00
Biology Prepared Slides Only$62.00
Biology Dissection Set with Specimens$55.00
Biology 2nd Edition Student Notebook$39.00
Biology 2nd Edition MP3 Audio CD$29.00
Biology Dissection Specimens Only$24.00
Biology 2nd Edition Solutions and Test Manual$23.00
Biology 2nd Edition Multimedia Companion CD-Rom$19.00
Dissection Tool Set$18.00
Biology 2nd Edition MP3 Download/Audiobook$16.95
Biology 2nd Edition Test Pages$5.00
Receive the Free Guide to Apologia Science and How to Write a Lab Report homeschooling resources from Apologia
Additional Homeschool High School Resources
- Exploring Creation with Chemistry – high school chemistry course from Apologia
- Exploring Creation with Health and Nutrition – high school course from Apologia
- High School Science Course Samples
- Books Every High School Student Should Read Before Graduation*
- High School Civics Course
- High School Apologetics Course