Have you ever seen those rocks in front of public school buildings with a spray-painted message announcing the news of a kid’s birthday? That’s all well and good, but I can think of much bigger news to share. I believe that the best news going on in America right now is the homeschooling movement. In other words, “Homeschooling Rocks.” And when you think of rocks, do priorities also come to mind? You know, the important things in life. If you don’t already know, let me inform or remind you that homeschooling provides the best answers for the big rocks of life, especially when it comes to the education, socialization, training in righteousness, and overall well-being of your children.
Here are some big rocks that you can prioritize when you homeschool.
The Big Homeschool Rocks
Starting the Day off Right
- You can decide what time to get up and start the day.
- You can spend the first part of your day with God in family worship.
- You can enjoy a relaxed and healthy breakfast.
- You can stay in your pajamas all day if you want.
The Morning Routine
- You’ll never miss the school bus again.
- You can avoid wasting time sitting in traffic and drop-off or pick-up lines.
- Your kids can actually learn something useful.
- The student-teacher ratio is the best in town.
- Your kids can experience an effective, face-to-face educational process.
- Your kids might actually say, “I love school. I love reading. I love learning.”
Socialization and Other Important Relationships
- Now you can stop worrying about bad socialization.
- No one will think twice if the teacher (that’s you) and student hug each other.
- It’s not only acceptable, but it’s also good for the Principal and teacher to hug and kiss.
- You can keep the masks off.
- You can forget about social distancing.
- You can decide for yourself whether or not to get a vaccination.
- You can practice freedom of religion and other first amendment rights.
- You can give your sons a pocket knife and practice other second amendment rights.
Other Government Issues
- You can put Common Core and any other government programs to shame.
- You can save the taxpayers of your state $1 billion (plus or minus) each year.
Other Oddities of Institutional Schools
- Be aware that there is no such thing as a snow day.
- You’ll never have to worry about doctor notes again.
Walking by Faith
- You can pray and read the Bible if you like.
- You can build your whole life on the solid rock of Jesus Christ.
- Wait for God to fill in gaps so big…a school bus could drive through them.
So the next time you see a big rock in front of a school building with someone’s birthday announcement, be reminded that the surge in homeschooling is an epoch going on in America right now. Then stop and take a moment to think about the important things in life and all the reasons why “homeschool rocks.”
Walking by faith and enjoying the homeschooling adventure of a lifetime!
Davis is the president of Apologia Educational Ministries, the #1 publisher of Creation- based science and Bible curriculum. He is the author of five illustrated children’s books designed to help parents instill a biblical worldview in the hearts and minds of their preschoolers. He believes that if there was ever a time to homeschool, it is now! You can hear more of what he has to say at the Let’s Talk Homeschool Podcast.
© 2021 Davis Carman