This is the self-paced version of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition. Your student will complete this self-paced course via the Self-Paced by Apologia portal on the Canvas platform. The one-year access to this course begins at the time of purchase.
Our award-winning 3rd edition high school biology course offers more in-depth discussions and explanations of concepts, a more user-friendly flow of topics, as well as biographical sketches of Christian scientists who have made a difference in the field while giving the glory to God.
This course provides a rigorous foundation in biology in order to prepare your student for college-level studies.
- This is the online, self-paced version that is completed via the Self-Paced by Apologia portal on the Canvas platform.
- The one-year access to this course begins at the time of purchase.
- You will not receive any physical copies of the textbook, MP3 Audio CD, Video Instruction Thumb Drive, or the Solutions and Tests Manual. These items are incorporated into the Self-Paced portal.
- The Student Notebook for this course is highly recommended. You may purchase it here.
- Return Policy: Any Self-Paced purchase is eligible for cancellation/refund if the request is made within 14 days from the date of purchase OR account activity is under 10 hours, whichever comes first. Please email email@example.com with your refund request and include the course name, your name and email address, and the student’s name and email address.
- Before purchase, please be sure you have read the browser and system requirements for Canvas, the platform on which Apologia Self-Paced is built. If you are unsure if you meet these requirements, please try the free demo of any Self-Paced course.
What’s Included In Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, Using Apologia’s Self-Paced Platform?
The self-paced version of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, offers one-year access from the date of purchase to the following features:
- Full online curriculum text of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, authored by Vickie Dincher. This is the digital version of the textbook. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the textbook.
- An audio reading of the text that your student can select to enhance online reading. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the MP3 Audio CD.
- The Video Instruction course material, featuring Sherri Seligson as the instructor, integrated into the daily assignments. This is the same material included in the Video Instruction Thumb Drive for Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the Video Instruction Thumb Drive.
- Straightforward at-home experiments from the textbook that are also featured in the video instruction.
- On Your Own and Study Guide materials are the same as those in the print version of the textbook. The Self-Paced portal provides answers to these questions.
- Unique tests complete with automatic grading
- Desktop and mobile access
What Others Are Saying About Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition
“This high school book would make a student more than well prepared to ace a general college biology course in many ways.” – College Biology Major and Former Apologia Student
“The updated infographics and photographs are gorgeous and help a student to understand the information.” – Student
“It’s better than ever!… The content is also thorough and up-to-date, providing a solid foundation for college-bound students.” – Cathy Duffy, Cathyduffyreviews.com | Read Cathy Duffy’s Full Review
“I am SO thankful for this revision of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition. It is comprehensive, logically reorganized, and contains many useful infographics, while maintaining Apologia’s conversational-style learning from a Christian worldview and student mastery checkpoints. It is the winner of the four biology textbooks I have reviewed for my homeschool classes.” – Biology Teacher, High School Homeschool Co-op and Adjunct Community College
Overview of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition
The digital version of this textbook is incorporated into the Self-Paced platform. You will not receive a physical copy of the textbook. Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, is designed to be the student’s first high school science course. It is a college-prep biology course that provides a detailed introduction to the methods and concepts of general biology.
In this course, your student will:
- See the evidence of God’s creation as they learn scientific principles
- Conduct experiments in a methodical way that prepares them not just for future classes, but for life
- Take personal notes, conduct and record experiments, and be able to interpret results
- Develop skills to think through and beyond the textbook materials, and be able to create their own experiments from concept to interpretation of results
- Further develop skills in their own learning style and how they best process, record, study, and retain information learned
- Be able to hold a logical discussion on God and science based on facts and beliefs
In the 3rd Edition, your student will find:
- Updated content to present the most current science
- A reorganized structure of the information, which helps students logically progress through their biological studies
- Experiments which have been updated or replaced, and the addition of new experiments
- New illustrations and infographics that help students break down and visually digest difficult concepts, in addition to updated images and illustrations
- New content, including a new section on photosynthesis and a new section on diseases.
- An overhaul of the section on genetics, including more information on DNA
Experiments, Hands-On Activities, and Topics in Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition
In this 3rd Edition, all experiments have been updated or replaced, and new ones added. The experiments come in three types: microscope labs, dissection labs, and household labs. Household labs use only common household equipment. The microscope labs, however, require a microscope and several prepared and blank slides, while the dissection labs require an additional dissection kit with specimens.
“Creation Connection” and “Think About This” call-outs help students see connections to a Designer and give students another way of thinking about a concept that they are studying. Our books are known for their conversational style, and these sections extend the conversation.
Topics covered include:
- The Science of Life
- The processes of science, including what scientists do, the scientific method, the tools of science and the limitations of science
- The Chemistry of Life
- The composition of matter, the properties of water, lipids, proteins, and enzymes
- Ecosystems, biomes, populations, and communities
- Cell Structure and Function
- Characteristics of all cells
- Cellular Energy
- Energy of all cells
- DNA, Proteins, and the Cell Cycle
- DNA replication, protein synthesis, and cell cycle & cellular reproduction
- Mendelian genetics, inheritance patterns, human genetics, and gene technologies
- Charles Darwin, micro and macroevolution, the geological column, and fossil record evidence
- Prokaryotes and Viruses
- Classification, Archaea, Bacteria, and Viruses
- Protists and Fungi
- Characteristics and classification
- Plant Diversity and Reproduction
- Classifying plants and life cycle
- Plant Structure and Function
- Plant anatomy and physiology, transporting water and nutrients, plant growth, hormones, and responses
- Animals – Invertebrates (part 1)
- Characteristics and diversity
- Animals – Invertebrates (part 2)
- Animals – Chordates (part 1)
- Characteristics and diversity
- Animals – Chordates (part 2)
- Birds and mammals
Solutions and Tests Manual
A separate purchase of the Solutions and Tests Manual is not needed. The answers to all On Your Own and Study Guide questions have been integrated into the self-paced platform. The tests for the self-paced version of this course have been exclusively designed for this platform with automatic grading. An explanation for each test answer is included so the student can check their work and review once the test has been submitted.
The audiobook is incorporated into the self-paced version of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition. Your student can click on the audio links and listen to the audiobook version right inside the self-paced platform! This is the same content that is found on the MP3 Audio CD.
Video Instruction Material
The video instruction for this course is integrated into the self-paced platform. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the Video Instruction Thumb Drive.
In the videos that are integrated into the self-paced platform, Sherri Seligson lectures, corresponding to all the titled sections of the textbook, using visual animations and on-location video clips. This helps students absorb the concepts in a richer and more engaging way, and it encompasses all types of learners. The animations help explain more difficult concepts in a three-dimensional, interactive way rather than in a static, two-dimensional text only. And the medium allows students to review material until they really understand it.
Additionally, videos of all the experiments are included, so parents and students can better understand how to set them up at home. Complete explanations of the labs are provided too.
Additional Recommended Purchases When Using Self-Paced by Apologia
The Student Notebook for Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, is highly recommended. You will need to purchase this separately. It does NOT automatically ship when you purchase this Apologia Self-Paced course.
Colleges want to see a lab component on your student’s high school transcript. This isn’t optional, and Apologia’s award-winning homeschool high school biology course and the Student Notebook are designed to meet this requirement without stressing your homeschool environment. Plus, note-taking helps increase retention of information, review for tests, and produce a record of their thoughts as they connect the ideas presented in the textbook with their own ideas.
Additionally, a student notebook helps students keep a carefully organized, detailed, and complete lab notebook, recording labs they conducted using proper scientific methodology. Taking good notes can make the difference between mastering a concept and not quite understanding it.
Good notes provide the following advantages:
- Students stay focused on what they are reading.
- Students pay closer attention, which will increase their retention.
- Students have their own version of the text to review for tests.
- Students learn to connect new information to what they already know.
Apologia Student Notebooks are specifically designed to help students be independent and take responsibility for their science studies as they gain and maintain their personal abilities to create structure and logic through note-taking.
The notebook contains:
- A suggested daily schedule
- Note-taking pages
- Lab report pages enable students to meticulously document their laboratory work in a manner that prepares them for college laboratory studies.
- Instruction in creating and interpreting line graphs from data, an essential skill all students need to thrive in science.
About the Student Notebook author: Vicki Dincher holds a master’s degree in biology. Her four children, all homeschooled, have earned or are pursuing graduate degrees in the sciences. Vicki has taught high school science, including Advanced Placement courses, since 1995.
Enjoy a Demo of Self-Paced by Apologia
Try out Apologia Self-Paced for free. Module 1 of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, is available to take for a test drive! The demo is openly accessible to you with no time limit and features the first complete module of the course.
Click “Try Demo,” and you will be redirected to canvas.instructure.com. If you do not already have a Canvas account, you will need to create one. You can do this by clicking “Need a Canvas Account” in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Enter a valid email address and a password. Click “Try Demo” again, and you can now login with your created account.Try Demo