Apologia’s self-paced homeschool course for biology gives students self-directed learning tools to ensure that they thrive and master science concepts. Your student will complete this self-paced online course via the Canvas learning platform. The one-year access begins at the time of purchase.
This online course includes:
- Textbook– Access a digital version of the textbook, Apologia’s Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition
- Audiobook – An audio narration of the textbook enhances online reading, and is beneficial for auditory learners or students with reading difficulties
- Video Instruction – Sherri Seligson, provides video lessons throughout each lesson.
- Hands-on Experiments – Easy-to-do, at-home experiments are featured in the video instruction to help students conduct hands-on experiments themselves.
- Review Questions and Answers – On Your Own and Study Guide materials are included, and students will have access to the answers to these questions.
- Graded Assessments – Quizzes throughout the course will be automatically graded. This feature allows students to have immediate results and independence.
Try a Demo of Self-Paced by Apologia
Try a free demo of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, which features Module 1 as a test drive! It has no time limit and includes all the features found in the paid course for Module 1.Try Demo
In Apologia’s Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, your student will gain an appreciation of God’s creativity and the world around them as they discover how the designs of the simplest living things point to the fingerprints of the Creator. This biology course covers the science and chemistry of life, ecology, cell structure and function, cellular energy, DNA and, genetics, evolution, prokaryotes and viruses, protists and fungi, plant diversity and reproduction, plant structure and function, and the biology of various types of animals.
Students will learn:
- How to utilize the proper scientific method in a detailed and engaging way.
- How to record data and report it.
- How to read, create, and utilize several types of graphs (a skill that is found on SAT and ACT exams!).
Engaging Video Instruction
In the course videos, Sherri Seligson lectures over the material in each section of the textbook, using visual animations and on-location video clips. These engaging videos will help your student absorb the concepts in a richer and more engaging way. The animations help explain more difficult concepts in a three-dimensional, interactive way.
Complete explanations of the labs are provided, and videos of all the experiments are included, so your student can set them up at home with ease and independence.
Throughout this course, your student will connect course instruction with hands-on experiments for maximum learning. The experiments your student will conduct come in three types: microscope labs, dissection labs, and household labs. Household labs utilize easy-to-obtain household equipment. The microscope labs, however, will require that your student has access to a microscope and several blank and prepared slides, while the dissection labs require an additional dissection kit with specimens.
As the person overseeing your student’s education, you get to decide which assignments you expect your student to complete. However, we recommend that they complete them all as they are designed to add to the foundational knowledge that your student is gaining. The Student Notebook (sold separately) contains lab report forms for each experiment in the text, which will help your student master the process of writing a formal lab report.
Automatic Graded Assessments
The tests for the self-paced version of this course have been exclusively designed in the Self-Paced platform with automatic grading. An explanation for each test answer is included so the student can check their work and review it once the test has been graded.
Additional Course Materials Needed
The Student Notebook for Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, is highly recommended and is sold separately.
Note-taking helps increase the retention of information, review for tests, and produce a record of students’ thoughts as they connect the ideas presented in the textbook with their own ideas.
Taking good notes can make the difference between mastering a concept and not quite understanding it. Good note-taking skills provide the following advantages:
- Students stay focused on what they are reading.
- Students pay closer attention, which will increase their retention.
- Students have their own version of the text to review for tests.
- Students learn to connect new information to what they already know.
Additionally, a Student Notebook helps students keep a carefully organized, detailed, and complete lab notebook, recording labs they conducted using proper scientific methodology.
Apologia Student Notebooks are specifically designed to help students be independent and take responsibility for their science studies as they gain and maintain their personal abilities to create structure and logic through note-taking.
The Student Notebook contains:
- A suggested daily schedule
- Note-taking pages
- Instruction in the Cornell note-taking system
- Space to answer all study questions found in the textbook
- Lab report forms for each experiment in the text, which will help your student master the process of writing a complete lab report