This is the self-paced version of Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition. Your student will complete this self-paced course via the Self-Paced by Apologia portal on the Canvas platform. The one-year access to this course begins at the time of purchase.
Our award-winning 3rd edition high school chemistry course offers more in-depth discussions and explanations of concepts, a more user-friendly flow of topics, as well as biographical sketches of Christian scientists who have made a difference in the field while giving the glory to God.
This course provides a rigorous foundation in chemistry in order to prepare your student for college-level studies.
- This is the online, self-paced version that is completed via the Self-Paced by Apologia portal on the Canvas platform.
- The one-year access to this course begins at the time of purchase.
- You will not receive any physical copies of the textbook, MP3 Audio CD, or the Solutions and Tests Manual. These items are incorporated into the self-paced portal.
- The Student Notebook for this course is highly recommended.
- Return Policy: Any Self-Paced purchase is eligible for cancellation/refund if the request is made within 14 days from date purchase OR account activity is under 10 hours, whichever comes first. Please email email@example.com with your refund request.
- Before purchase, please be sure you have read the browser and system requirements for Canvas, the platform on which Apologia Self-Paced is built. If you are unsure if you meet these requirements, please try the free demo of any Self-Paced course.
What’s Included In Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Using Apologia’s Self-Paced Platform?
The self-paced version of Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition, offers one-year access from the date of purchase.
- Full online curriculum text of Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition, authored by Kristi Plourde. This is the digital version of the textbook. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the textbook.
- An audio reading of the text that your student can select to enhance online reading. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the MP3 Audio CD.
- The Video Instruction course material, featuring Sherri Seligson as the instructor, integrated into the daily assignments. This is the same material included in the Video Instruction Thumb Drive for Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the Video Instruction Thumb Drive.
- Easy at-home experiments from the textbook that are also featured in the video instruction.
- On Your Own and Study Guide materials are the same as those in the print version of the textbook. The Self-Paced portal provides answers to these questions.
- Unique tests complete with automatic grading
- Desktop and mobile access
What Others Are Saying About Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition:
“I have used your fantastic curriculum for biology, advanced biology, chemistry, advanced chemistry, and physics. These books have allowed me to pursue my goal to become a medical doctor. I’m currently using your advanced biology to study for the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test). Thanks so much!”
“Our family enjoys Apologia’s conversational style, familiar to students raised on Charlotte Mason-style living books. We also appreciate the seamless addition of Scripture and Creation information in Exploring Creation with Chemistry; it better prepares us to give solid scientific answers to support our Biblical beliefs without compromising our faith or scientific integrity. Ultimately, there is no better reason to study chemistry, and this is where Apologia excels. Overall, we appreciate how well Apologia’s award-winning chemistry program plucks panicked parents out of the quicksand and sets them on solid Biblical and scientific ground.”
Christy Bagasao, The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
“The authors have done a great job constructing lab activities with low-cost equipment while providing enough experience for a solid college-prep course.”
Cathy Duffy, Cathyduffyreviews.com
Overview of Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition
The digital version of this textbook is incorporated into the Self-Paced platform. You will not receive a physical copy of the textbook.
High school students who study chemistry with Apologia are equipped not only for future college studies but more importantly, life! We aren’t just an academically rigorous textbook. Using a conversational tone, we present challenging science concepts and thought-provoking experiments in an easily navigated, personalized format to help students methodically learn, self-check, and master difficult concepts before moving on. We keep science relevant as well as in its proper place as the means to explore creation!
We recommend that students taking this course be proficient at an algebra math level. Topics include significant figures, units, classification, the mole concept, stoichiometry, thermochemistry, thermodynamics, kinetics, acids and bases, redox reactions, solutions, atomic structure, Lewis structures, molecular geometry, gas laws, and equilibrium. Experiments include measuring specific heat, discovering the electrical conductivity of compounds dissolved in water, measuring the width of a molecule, exploring freezing, point depression, using the ideal gas equation, recognizing the effects of catalysts, and much more.
Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition, provides a detailed introduction to the methods and concepts of general chemistry, as well as a multitude of chemistry lab experiments that develop the concepts further.
The 16 modules and their experiments in this course cover:
- Measurement, Units, and the Scientific Method.
- Atoms and Molecules
- Atomic Structure
- Molecular Structure
- Polyatomic Ions and Molecular Geometry
- Changes in Matter and Chemical Reactions
- Describing Chemical Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- The Chemistry of Solutions
- The Gas Phase
- Energy, Heat, and Temperature
- Chemical Equilibrium
- Reduction-and-Oxidation Reaction
The experiments in this chemistry course require mostly common household materials in addition to the Chemistry Glassware Set, which contains the tools and utensils to complete the experiments.
Solutions and Tests Manual
A separate purchase of the Solutions and Tests Manual is not needed. The answers to all On Your Own and Study Guide questions have been integrated into the self-paced platform. The tests for the self-paced version of this course have been exclusively designed for this platform with automatic grading. An explanation for each test answer is included so the student can check their work and review once the test has been submitted.
The audiobook is incorporated into the self-paced version of Exploring Creation with Chemistry. Your student can click on the audio links and listen to the audiobook version right inside the self-paced platform! This is the same content that is found on the MP3 Audio CD.
Video Instruction Material
The video instruction for this course is integrated into the self-paced platform. You will NOT receive a physical copy of the Video Instruction Thumb Drive.
In the videos that are integrated into the self-paced platform, Sherri Seligson lectures, corresponding to all the titled sections of the textbook, using visual animations and on-location video clips. This helps students absorb the concepts in a richer and more engaging way, and it encompasses all types of learners. The animations help explain more difficult concepts in a three-dimensional, interactive way rather than in a static, two-dimensional text only. And the medium allows students to review material until they really understand it.
Additionally, videos of all the experiments are included, so parents and students can better understand how to set them up at home. Complete explanations of the labs are provided too.
Additional Recommended Purchases When Using Self-Paced by Apologia
The Student Notebook for Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition, is highly recommended. You will need to purchase this separately. It does NOT automatically ship when you purchase this Apologia Self-Paced course.
Colleges want to see a lab component on your student’s high school transcript. This isn’t optional, and Apologia’s award-winning homeschool high school chemistry course and the Student Notebook are designed to meet this requirement without stressing your homeschool environment. Plus, note-taking helps increase retention of information, review for tests, and produce a record of their thoughts as they connect the ideas presented in the textbook with their own ideas.
Additionally, a student notebook helps students keep a carefully organized, detailed, and complete lab notebook, recording labs they conducted using proper scientific methodology. Taking good notes can make the difference between mastering a concept and not quite understanding it.
Good notes provide the following advantages:
- Students stay focused on what they are reading.
- Students pay closer attention, which will increase their retention.
- Students have their own version of the text to review for tests.
- Students learn to connect new information to what they already know.
Apologia Student Notebooks are specifically designed to help students be independent and take responsibility for their science studies as they gain and maintain their personal abilities to create structure and logic through note-taking.
The notebook contains:
- A suggested daily schedule
- Note-taking pages
- Lab report pages enable students to meticulously document their laboratory work in a manner that prepares them for college laboratory studies.
- Instruction in creating and interpreting line graphs from data, an essential skill all students need to thrive in science.
About the Student Notebook author: Vicki Dincher holds a master’s degree in biology. Her four children, all homeschooled, have earned or are pursuing graduate degrees in the sciences. Vicki has taught high school science, including Advanced Placement courses, since 1995.
Enjoy a Demo of Self-Paced by Apologia
Try out Apologia Self-Paced for free. Module 1 of Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 3rd Edition, is available to take for a test drive! The demo is openly accessible to you with no time limit and features the first complete module of the course.
Click “Try Demo,” and you will be redirected to canvas.instructure.com. If you do not already have a Canvas account, you will need to create one. You can do this by clicking “Need a Canvas Account” in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Enter a valid email address and a password. Click “Try Demo” again, and you can now login with your created account.Try Demo