Voted #1 Creation-Based High School Homeschool Biology Course Over 12 Years in a Row
This high school biology course is designed to be your high school student’s first science course. As a college-prep high school biology course, it will set the stage for success in their homeschool years in high school, prepare them for
Providing a detailed introduction to the methods and concepts of general biology, our award-winning, homeschool, high school biology covers:
• A heavy emphasis on the vocabulary of biology so that students are properly prepared to have scientific discussions
• A strong background in the scientific method so that students are trained for laboratory sciences in other high school science courses, as well as university studies
• Labs that cover experimentation, field studies, microscopy, and dissection
• Introduction to classification, biochemistry, cellular biology, molecular and Mendelian genetics, evolution, ecosystems, and much more.
What Information You Will Find on This Page
- Overview of Apologia’s Homeschool High School Biology Course
- Table of Contents
- A Year of Apologia’s Homeschool High School Biology
- The Importance of a Lab Component in a High School Science Course
- The Importance of a Student Notebook in a High School Science Course
- Apologia Biology: Basic Set, Advantage Set, SuperSet
- Additional Resources: Video and Online Learning Options
- Available Products for Exploring Creation with Biology
Overview of Our Homeschool-Friendly and Comprehensive High School Biology Course
Our award-winning, creation-based science curriculum helps students investigate, discover, recognize, appreciate, discuss, and understand the wonders of Creation.
High school students are equipped for college studies with our academically rigorous curriculum because we aren’t just a textbook. Using a conversational tone, we present challenging science concepts and thought-provoking experiments in an easily navigated, personalized format to help students methodically learn, self-check, and master difficult concepts before moving on.
We keep science relevant. Additional online materials are available through a book extras portal so that students can see science in action.
Table of Contents
The Table of Contents for Exploring Creation with Biology is as follows:
- Module 1: The Science of Life
The processes of science, including what scientists do, the scientific method, the tools of science and the limitations of science
- Module 2: The Chemistry of Life
The composition of matter, the properties of water, lipids, proteins, and enzymes
- Module 3: Ecology
Eco systems, biomes, populations, and communities
- Module 4: Cell Structure and Function
Characteristics of all cells
- Module 5: Cellular Energy
Energy of all cells
- Module 6: DNA, Proteins, and the Cell Cycle
DNA replication, protein synthesis, and cell cycle & cellular reproduction
- Module 7: Genetics
Mendelian genetics, inheritance patters, human genetics, and gene technologies
- Module 8: Evolution
Charles Darwin, Micro and Macro evolution, the geological column, and fossil record evidence
- Module 9: Prokaryotes and Viruses
Classification, Archaea, Bacteria, and Viruses
- Module 10: Protists and Fungi
Characteristics and classification
- Module 11: Plant Diversity and Reproduction
Classifying plants and life cycle
- Module 12: Plant Structure and Function
Plant anatomy and physiology, transporting water and nutrients, plant growth, hormones, and responses
- Module 13:Animals – Invertebrates (part 1)
Characteristics and diversity
- Module 14:Animals – Invertebrates (part 2)
- Module 15: Animals – Chordates (part 1)
Characteristics and diversity
- Module 16: Animals – Chordates (part 2)
Birds and mammals
Ready to Shop
for Apologia Products?
A Year of Apologia Homeschool High School Biology
Because our texts are written in a conversational tone, the textbook is the expert interacting with the student. There are no teacher manuals required.
A flexible daily schedule is provided in your student’s notebook so that they can independently work on their science assignments.
A typical week requires studying
Laboratory exercises are conducted throughout each module so that students have a hands-on lab component in their scientific study. These have been designed to easily work in the homeschool environment.
At the end of each of 16 modules which take about 2 weeks each to complete, there are Study Guides to help students review their materials before taking their exams. Detailed answers to these questions are provided in the Solutions and Test Manual.
Module exams and quarterly exams, as well as detailed answers, are provided in the Solutions and Test Manual.
Our oldest daughter entered college a year early. Her hard work and the way in which Apologia teaches has helped her breeze through her cell biology course. We so appreciate all you are doing. Thank you.
The Importance of a Student Notebook in a High School Science Curriculum
High school students take notes to increase retention of information, review for tests, and produce a record of their thoughts as they connect the ideas presented in the textbook with their own ideas.
Additionally, a student notebook helps students keep a carefully organized, detailed, and complete lab notebook, recording labs they conducted using proper scientific methodology.
Taking good notes while reading a high school science text can make the difference between mastering a concept and not quite understanding it. Good notes provide the following advantages:
- Students stay focused on what they are reading.
- Students pay closer attention, which will increase their retention.
- Students have their own version of the text to review for tests.
- Students learn to connect new information to what they already know.
Apologia Student Notebooks for our homeschool high school biology course are specifically designed to help students be independent and take responsibility for their science studies as they gain and maintain the personal abilities to create structure and logic through note taking.
Apologia Student Notebooks are strongly linked to their corresponding textbooks. They provide structured space for:
The Importance of a Lab Component in a High School Science Curriculum
Colleges want to see a lab component on your student’s high school transcript. This isn’t optional, and Apologia’s award-winning homeschool high school biology course is designed to meet this requirement.
Throughout their academic school year, students will conduct controlled experiments where they observe a problem, ask a question, formulate a testable hypothesis, and then conduct the experiment and analyze the data to see if their results support their hypothesis. It involves quantitative data that require measurements. The lab portion of Apologia guides a student through this process.
Additionally, students will conduct descriptive experiments to use their five senses to make qualitative observations and describe what they learn. This includes microscope work, field studies of organisms in their natural habitats, and dissections. Again, our homeschool curriculum was designed with your student’s success in mind, and we guide students through this process with detailed descriptions and photographs.
Basic Set, Advantage Set, and SuperSet
Exploring Creation with Biology is available as a Basic Set, Advantage Set, or a SuperSet. Components included in each are as follows:
- Basic Set: Softcover textbook and softcover Solutions and Test Manual
- Advantage Set: Softcover textbook, softcover Solutions and Test Manual, and spiral-bound Student Notebook
- SupserSet: Softcover textbook, softcover Solutions and Test Manual, spiral-bound Student Notebook, MP3 audiobook CD, and video instruction
Additional Support: Video and Online Options
This comprehensive homeschool high school biology course was created to accommodate a wide range of student abilities. To ensure every student’s success, Apologia has created materials to meet every student’s learning style.
Auditory Learners: Sometimes, students learn best when they can see and hear what they’re studying. Apologia audiobooks are the complete text of the course read aloud. Students can follow along with the audio while reading their textbooks.
Visual Learners: Sometimes, the subject matter is easier to comprehend when the topic is animated and presented by a knowledgeable instructor. Apologia Video Instructional material enhances the student’s education with more than 20 hours of instruction, including on-location video footage, PowerPoint lectures, animated diagrams of difficult concepts, and video presentations of all experiments.
Social Learners: Some students learn best when they can interact with others in an online setting and ask questions of a live instructor. With the Apologia Online Academy, students can interact in real-time with both their classmates and a professional instructor in a structured, virtual classroom. Also, we offer recordings of all our live classes on the Online Academy Video-On-Demand Channel.
Apologia’s high school science courses help your students interactively participate in their educations by fostering their natural inquisitiveness. We recognize that to cultivate curiosity, and we must partner with it. Throughout their high school years, your students will experience personal scientific encounters that turn facts into a meaningful and natural extension of what they already know about their world and their Creator. We thank you for considering Apologia science for your homeschool.
Apologia SuperSet™ – Biology, 3rd Edition$313.95
Biology Complete Microscope Set$310.00
Biology, 3rd Edition, Video Instruction Thumb Drive$207.00
Apologia Advantage Set™ – Biology, 3rd Edition$119.95
Apologia Basic Set – Biology, 3rd Edition$89.95
Biology Complete Slide Set$85.00
Biology, 3rd Edition, Student Textbook$72.00
Biology Prepared Slides Only$62.00
Biology Dissection Set with Specimens$60.00
Biology, 3rd Edition, Student Notebook$39.00
Biology, 3rd Edition, MP3 Audio CD$29.00
Biology Dissection Specimens Only$26.00
Biology, 3rd Edition, Solutions and Tests Manual$23.00
Dissection Tool Set$18.00
Biology 3rd Edition MP3 Download/Audiobook$16.95
Biology, 3rd Edition, Test Pages$5.00
Biology, 3rd Edition, Streaming Instructional Video
Biology, 3rd Edition, eBook
Receive the Free Guide to Apologia Science and How to Write a Lab Report homeschooling resources from Apologia
Additional Homeschool High School Resources
- Exploring Creation with Chemistry – high school chemistry course from Apologia
- Exploring Creation with Health and Nutrition – high school course from Apologia
- High School Science Course Samples
- Books Every High School Student Should Read Before Graduation*
- High School Civics Course
- High School Apologetics Course