Homeschool High School Chemistry from Apologia
When you look around, do you ever wonder where everything came from and how it was made? Have you ever contemplated why a tree trunk is hard, its leaves are soft, and a breeze that blows through those leaves is invisible? Why can we walk through water but not a brick wall? What makes foods differ so that they are sweet, salty, sour, umami, or bitter? Welcome to the world of chemistry!
This college-prep, high school chemistry course for homeschool students is designed to give your student an understanding of the world that surrounds them each day of their lives so that they can appreciate the real-world relevance of scientific inquiry through chemistry.
What Information You Will Find on This Page
- Overview of This Homeschool High School Chemistry Course
- Topics Covered in Apologia’s High School Chemistry Course
- Overview of the Course Components
- How to Use This Course in Your Homeschool
- The Importance of a Student Notebook in a Homeschool High School Chemistry Curriculum
- Basic Set, Advantage Set, SuperSet
- Matching Your Student’s Learning Style
- Basic Set, Advantage Set, SuperSet
- Purchase Exploring Creation with Chemistry
Sample Video And Free Preview
Overview of Apologia’s Homeschool High School Chemistry Course
As a creation-based science course, this text goes beyond the facts and figures found in a typical high school chemistry course. Say the term, “Chemistry” and the first thing that pops into most people’s minds is the periodic table. Take a moment to look at this simple version of the periodic table and answer honestly when asked, “What do you see?”
The Periodic Table of the Elements
Most people would answer that they see colorful boxes with numbers and letters arranged in a peculiar way. They know that the numbers are important, that the letters are abbreviations, and that the peculiar arrangement of the boxes is significant.
Every high school chemistry textbook will instruct students on how to interpret the periodic table. At the end of any good chemistry course a student should be able to know what those colored boxes, numbers, letters, and arrangements mean. And while this is all very correct and important, there’s something more to this periodic table of the elements that most typical high school chemistry textbooks fail to discuss. Apologia designs its courses to help student make real-world connections. We also give all the glory back to God.
Think about our universe, our planet, our homes, and our very lives. What do all of these have in common? The chemistry answer is “the elements.” The elements listed in the periodic table constitute all of the ordinary matter, visible and invisible, that we know about. That means that both the stars that we can’t even see with our eyes and our eyes themselves are composed of the elements.
Paper, computers, dirt, and puppies – all composed of elements. Air, distant planets, water, and rockets—all composed of elements in the periodic table. Plants, bugs, and people – yes, elements!
We stand on the elements and breathe them in with every breath.
We build with the elements.
We eat the elements in every meal.
From galaxies in the vast universe to the tiniest
microscopic cell, we experience the elements.
Viruses that make you sick, and the researchers that develop cures, as well
as their equipment that they use, are all composed of the elements.
Our bodies are created from the elements.
And because our brains are made from the elements, even our thoughts and opinions can be considered to be properties of the elements.
Take another moment to look at the periodic table. What do you see this time?
High school students who study chemistry with Apologia are equipped not only for future college studies but more importantly, life! We aren’t just an academically rigorous textbook. Using a conversational tone, we present challenging science concepts and thought-provoking experiments in an easily navigated, personalized format to help students methodically learn, self-check, and master difficult concepts before moving on. We keep science relevant as well as in its proper place as the means to explore creation!
Apologia understands that through scientific study we are given a glimpse of God’s thoughts. What a wonderful gift that is to pass to your children, and Apologia Science is honored when you choose our award-winning curriculum to help them learn about God’s creation. We realize that God alone rules over all aspects of our universe, and we will always give glory to Him as we give you and your student the best scientific curriculum to inspire your student to investigate, discover, and discuss His creation.
One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts.
Psalm 145:4 NIV
Topics Covered in Apologia’s High School Chemistry Course
Our chemistry course provides a rigorous foundation in in high school to prepare your homeschool student for college-level studies. We recommend that students taking this course be proficient at an algebra math level. Topics include:
- Significant figures
- Units, classification, and the mole concept
- Stoichiometry, thermochemistry, and thermodynamics
- Kinetics, acids and bases, redox reactions, and solutions
- Atomic structure, Lewis structures, and molecular geometry
- Gas laws and equilibrium
And yes, this course is written to your student in an award–winning way that makes the textbook the topic expert, your student the independent learner, and you, the parent, the ultimate mentor.
Detailed Listing of Topics
Exploring Creation with Chemistry provides the homeschool high school student a detailed introduction to the methods and concepts of general chemistry, as well as a multitude of chemistry lab experiments that develop the concepts further.
The 16 modules and their experiments in this course cover:
- Measurement, Units, and the Scientific Method.
- Atoms and Molecules
- Atomic Structure
- Molecular Structure
- Polyatomic Ions and Molecular Geometry
- Changes in Matter and Chemical Reactions
- Describing Chemical Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- The Chemistry of Solutions
- The Gas Phase
- Energy, Heat, and Temperature
- Chemical Equilibrium
Ready to Shop
for Apologia Products?
Components of Apologia’s Chemistry Course for High School
Our high school chemistry science curriculum helps homeschool students investigate, discover, recognize, appreciate, discuss, and understand the wonders of Creation. High school students are equipped for college studies with our academically rigorous science curriculum because we aren’t just a textbook. Below are the components of this homeschool high school chemistry curriculum:
- Award-winning, college preparatory, high school chemistry curriculum
- Chemistry labs designed to be rigorous yet homeschool-friendly
- Additional 14 optional microchemistry experiments
- Access to supplementary online materials
Softcover Solutions and Test Manual
- Detailed explanations to textbook questions and math equations
- Detailed explanations to lab questions and math equations
- 16 module exams and detailed solutions
- Quarterly exams and detailed solutions
Spiral Bound Student Notebook
- Detailed, yet flexible, day-to-day schedule
- Module organization and notetaking space
- Complete lab forms
- Final project pages for creating and interpreting graphs in science.
- Rubrics for grading and a place to record all grades
Instructional DVD Video course
- Over 20 hours of Instructional video covering each module concept
- Animated diagrams of difficult concepts
- On-location video of textbook concepts
- Every experiment demonstrated on video
Exploring Creation with Chemistry 3rd edition is a textbook I endorse for the high school student chemistry class as well as those who desire to enter into college and take chemistry.
– College Professor
How to Use Apologia’s Homeschool High School Chemistry Course
Using a conversational tone, we present challenging science concepts and thought-provoking experiments in an easily navigated, personalized format to help students methodically learn, self-check, and master difficult concepts before moving on.
Below we have outlined how this chemistry course fits into your high school students work plan:
- Because our texts are written in a conversational tone, the high school chemistry textbook is the expert interacting with the student. There are no teacher manuals required.
- A flexible daily schedule is provided in your student’s notebook so that they can independently work on their chemistry assignments.
- A typical week requires studying high school chemistry for about 1 hour a day for 5 days. During this time, students read an assigned portion of their chemistry textbook, stopping throughout each section to answer “On Your Own” questions to test their comprehension before moving forward. Students self-check their answers against the detailed answers provided at the end of each module.
- Laboratory exercises are conducted throughout each module so that students have a hands-on lab component in their scientific study. These have been designed to easily work in the homeschool environment.
- At the end of each of 16 modules which take about 2 weeks each to complete, there are Study Guides to help students review their materials before taking their exams. Detailed answers to these questions are provided in the Solutions Manual.
- If a student is having difficulty with a module, optional extra practice problems are available to provide additional support towards a student’s retention and success.
- Module exams and quarterly exams, as well as detailed answers, are provided in the Solutions Manual.
The Importance of a Student Notebook in a High School Chemistry Curriculum
Apologia Student Notebooks for our high school chemistry course are specifically designed to help homeschool students be independent and take responsibility for their science studies as they gain and maintain the personal abilities to create structure and logic through note taking
Being able to take helpful notes while completing a science course can make the difference between mastering a concept and not quite understanding it. Good notes provide the following advantages:
- Students stay focused on what they are reading.
- Students pay closer attention, which will increase their retention.
- Students have their own version of the text to review for tests.
- Students learn to connect new information to what they already know.
Apologia Student Notebooks are Strongly Linked to Their Corresponding Textbooks. They Provide Structured Space for:
The Importance of a Lab Component in a High School Chemistry Curriculum
Colleges want to see a lab component on your student’s high school transcript. This isn’t optional, and Apologia’s award-winning homeschool high school chemistry course is designed to meet this requirement without stressing your homeschool environment.
The materials used in this homeschool high school chemistry course, are mostly common substances found around your home. Specialized materials can be purchased if desired.
Meeting Your Student’s Learning Style
This comprehensive homeschool high school chemistry course was created to accommodate a wide range of student abilities. To ensure every student’s success, Apologia has created materials to meet every student’s learning style.
Auditory Learners: Sometimes students learn best when they can see and hear what they’re studying. Apologia Audio Books are the complete text of the course read aloud. Students can follow along with the audio while reading their textbooks
Visual Learners: Sometimes the subject matter is easier to comprehend when the topic is animated and presented by a knowledgeable instructor. Apologia Video Instructional courses enhance the student’s education with more than 20 hours of instruction, including on-location video footage, PowerPoint lectures, animated diagrams of difficult concepts, and video presentations of all experiments
Social Learners: Some students learn best when they can interact with others and ask questions of a live instructor. With the Apologia Online Academy, students can interact in real time with both their classmates and a professional instructor in a structured virtual classroom. Also, our courses are a coop favorite. Check your local coops to see if Apologia Chemistry is offered for your social learner.
Apologia’s high school science courses help your students interactively participate in their educations by fostering their natural inquisitiveness. We recognize that to cultivate curiosity, we must partner with it. Throughout their high school years, your students will experience personal scientific encounters that turn facts into a meaningful and natural extension of what they already know about their world and their Creator. We thank you for considering Apologia science for your homeschool.
Basic Set, Advantage Set, SuperSet
Exploring Creation with Chemistry is available as a Basic Set, Advantage Set, or a SuperSet. Components included in each are as follows:
- Basic Set: Hardcover textbook and softcover Solutions and Test Manual
- Advantage Set: Hardcover textbook, softcover Solutions and Test Manual, and spiral bound Student Notebook
- SupserSet: Hardcover textbook, softcover Solutions and Test Manual, spiral bound Student Notebook, MP3 audiobook CD, and video instruction
Apologia SuperSet™ – Chemistry, 3rd Edition$313.95
Apologia Self-Paced – Chemistry, 3rd Edition$249.00
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Video Instruction Thumb Drive$207.00
Optional MicroCHEM Kit$144.00
Apologia Advantage Set™ – Chemistry, 3rd Edition$119.95
Apologia Basic Set – Chemistry, 3rd Edition$89.95
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Student Textbook$72.00
Chemistry Glassware Set$58.00
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Student Notebook$39.00
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, MP3 Audio CD$29.00
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Solutions and Tests Manual$23.00
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, MP3 Download/Audiobook$16.95
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Test Pages$5.00
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Audiobook on Audible™
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Audiobook on iTunes™
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Streaming Instructional Video
Chemistry, 3rd Edition, eBook
Receive the Free Guide to Apologia Science and How to Write a Lab Report homeschooling resources from Apologia