Apologia’s homeschool biology course for high school is part of Apologia’s award-winning Exploring Creation Series. With a strong emphasis on vocabulary and experiments, Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, is a foundational course that covers everything students need to prepare successfully for a college-level biology course.
What’s Included In Apologia’s Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, Advantage Set?
- Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, Textbook
- Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, Student Notebook
- Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, Solutions and Tests Manual
The design of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, will inspire an appreciation of the amazing creativity of God’s living world and show how the designs of the simplest living thing point to the fingerprints of the Creator.
This is a full and complete overview of biology. It will prepare any student taking the ACT; they’ll have all they need to know of the biological sciences. Students completing this course will be prepared for any biology courses they take at the college level.
In conjunction with the Student Notebook, the textbook helps students become scientifically literate citizens. There are basic things everyone should know about how our world functions. This course will give students the strong foundation they need to make informed decisions about their lives, whether or not they continue in the sciences.
- Please note that our Biology 3rd edition textbook has been reprinted in a softcover version. This set contains the new softcover textbook. You can read our complete formal statement about this transition on our FAQ Knowledge Base here.
- To receive a full refund, all items within this set must be returned unopened. If only some of the products are returned the refund amount will be adjusted accordingly and the discount will be forfeited.
- Once the Solutions and Tests Manual is opened, it is not eligible for a return.
What Others Are Saying About Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition
“This high school book would make a student more than well prepared to ace a general college biology course in many ways.”
College Biology Major and Former Apologia Student
“The updated infographics and photographs are gorgeous and help a student to understand the information.”
“It’s better than ever!… The content is also thorough and up-to-date, providing a solid foundation for college-bound students.”
Cathy Duffy, Cathyduffyreviews.com
Review of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition
“I am SO thankful for this revision of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition. It is comprehensive, logically reorganized, and contains many useful infographics, while maintaining Apologia’s conversational-style learning from a Christian worldview and student mastery checkpoints. It is the winner of the four biology textbooks I have reviewed for my homeschool classes.”
High School Homeschool Co-op and Adjunct Community College
Overview of Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, Softcover Textbook
This softcover student textbook, Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, is designed to be the student’s first high school science course. It is a college-prep biology course that provides a detailed introduction to the methods and concepts of general biology.
In this course, your student will:
- See the evidence of God’s creation as they learn scientific principles
- Conduct experiments in a methodical way that prepares them not just for future classes, but for life
- Take personal notes, conduct and record experiments, and be able to interpret results
- Develop skills to think through and beyond the textbook materials, and be able to create their own experiments from concept to interpretation of results
- Further develop skills in their own learning style and how they best process, record, study, and retain information learned
- Be able to hold a logical discussion on God and science based on facts and beliefs
What’s Inside Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, Softcover Textbook?
Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, softcover student textbook covers everything students need to prepare for a college-level biology course. The materials are updated with deeper explanations of certain concepts, and new graphics help students understand the life sciences.
In the 3rd Edition, your student will find:
- Updated content to present the most current science
- A reorganized structure of the information, which helps students logically progress through their biological studies
- Experiments which have been updated or replaced, and the addition of new experiments
- New illustrations and infographics that help students break down and visually digest difficult concepts, in addition to updated images and illustrations
- New content, including a new section on photosynthesis and a new section on diseases.
- An overhaul of the section on genetics, including more information on DNA
Experiments, Hands-On Activities, and Topics in Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition
In this 3rd Edition, all experiments have been updated or replaced, and new ones added. The experiments come in three types: microscope labs, dissection labs, and household labs. Household labs use only common household equipment. The microscope labs, however, require a microscope and several prepared and blank slides, while the dissection labs require an additional dissection kit with specimens.
We recommend that students do every assignment in the textbook because they are each created to add value to the textual knowledge your student is gaining. As a homeschooling teacher, you have final say over what you expect your student to do or not do.
“Creation Connection” and “Think About This” call-outs help students see connections to a Designer and give students another way of thinking about a concept that they are studying. Our books are known for their conversational style, and these sections extend the conversation.
Topics covered include:
- The Science of Life
- The processes of science, including what scientists do, the scientific method, the tools of science and the limitations of science
- The Chemistry of Life
- The composition of matter, the properties of water, lipids, proteins, and enzymes
- Ecosystems, biomes, populations, and communities
- Cell Structure and Function
- Characteristics of all cells
- Cellular Energy
- Energy of all cells
- DNA, Proteins, and the Cell Cycle
- DNA replication, protein synthesis, and cell cycle & cellular reproduction
- Mendelian genetics, inheritance patterns, human genetics, and gene technologies
- Charles Darwin, micro and macroevolution, the geological column, and fossil record evidence
- Prokaryotes and Viruses
- Classification, Archaea, Bacteria, and Viruses
- Protists and Fungi
- Characteristics and classification
- Plant Diversity and Reproduction
- Classifying plants and life cycle
- Plant Structure and Function
- Plant anatomy and physiology, transporting water and nutrients, plant growth, hormones, and responses
- Animals – Invertebrates (part 1)
- Characteristics and diversity
- Animals – Invertebrates (part 2)
- Animals – Chordates (part 1)
- Characteristics and diversity
- Animals – Chordates (part 2)
- Birds and mammals
Solutions & Tests Manual
The Solutions and Tests Manual only for Exploring Creation with Biology, 3rd Edition, contains answers to Study Guide questions, tests, and test solutions. A set of Test Pages is shrink-wrapped with the manual.
Please Note: Once the shrink wrap is removed, this product is not eligible for return.
We specifically designed this high-quality spiral-bound notebook to help your student make a successful transition to high school science. This homeschool resource will help them feel accomplished and be more independent, organized, and prepared.
This notebook works in conjunction with the textbook. There are pages where students record their notes and responses to all of the On Your Own questions. At the end of each module, Study Guide questions help the student review the materials and prepare for tests. In addition, The experiments in the textbook are in the Student Notebook to ensure students get the most from this lab credit course.
There are materials found only in the Student Notebook that walk students through the entire process of designing and performing their own experiments. This includes determining a problem they wish to understand, formulating a hypothesis, devising a test with both dependent and independent variables, as well as a control group; performing their test, analyzing data; reporting results, and deciding if their hypothesis is validated.
Note-taking helps increase retention of information, review for tests, and produce a record of their thoughts as they connect the ideas presented in the textbook with their ideas.
Additionally, a student notebook helps students keep a carefully organized, detailed, and complete lab notebook, recording labs they conducted using proper scientific methodology.
Taking good notes can make the difference between mastering a concept and not entirely understanding it. Effective note-taking provides the following advantages:
- Students stay focused on what they are reading.
- Students pay closer attention, which will increase their retention.
- Students have their own version of the text to review for tests.
- Students learn to connect new information to what they already know.
Apologia Student Notebooks are designed to help students be independent and take responsibility for their science studies as they gain and maintain their personal abilities to create structure and logic through note-taking.
The notebook contains:
- A daily schedule
- Note-taking pages
- Pages to record answers to the On Your Own questions
- Lab report forms for each experiment in the text, which will help your student master the process of writing a complete lab report
- “Design Your Own Experiment” sections, which walk students through the steps involved in designing and conducting their own experiments