Overview of Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Level 2
As a hands-on, interactive elementary math curriculum, Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Level 2 was designed to cultivate a love of numbers while building on a student’s ability to use numbers and mathematical symbols to understand the world in which he or she lives. In level 2, students will dig deeper into place value, patterns such as even and odd numbers, addition, subtraction, money, time, measurement, data and graphs, and geometry. Filled with activities, projects, and games that help students understand how they can manipulate numbers as they investigate the world, students will also see the greater connections between our world and our God.
Parents love this curriculum:
“This math has been a game-changer in our house! I would battle so much with my daughter over math. Now, she asks to do it first and sometimes completes more than what is required! Thank you for releasing a product that has given me confidence we can continue homeschooling without the fight every day.”
“I love the layout of Exploring Creation with Mathematics. Each lesson incorporates mastery with spiral review included. It’s the perfect blend for my son without the overwhelm.”
“Thank you for creating such a fantastic math curriculum! Apologia Math is the perfect fit for our daughter!”
“We purchased Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Levels 1 & 2 for my two children. Last year, my daughter was often in tears when she was doing math. However, this year she gets excited once she starts her lesson for the day; she loves it! Thank you!”
“We have really enjoyed this curriculum! Easy to use and prep for! Such a natural approach to math! I have tried so many 1st-grade math curriculums. This one is my favorite!”
“This curriculum (Exploring Creation with Mathematics) is the perfect balance of practice problems and hands-on activities. My daughter has loved all the games. I highly recommend it!”
“We are several weeks into our Apologia Math book, and my daughter begs to just do one more lesson at the end of every day! Thanks for such a fun math adventure.”
“Thank you so much for writing this math curriculum. My son absolutely LOVES it, and we are having so much fun together. Math is his favorite subject, and he looks forward to it every day.”
“I have been recommending your math books to all the homeschool moms. Thank you for everything you contribute to the homeschooling world. We are grateful!”
Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Level 2, All-in-One Student Text and Workbook
This course is a rich introduction to elementary math. Level 2 covers adding and subtracting 3-digit numbers, telling time, manipulating money, and learning more about measurement, data collection, and geometry, including 3D shapes. Hands-on activities are designed to complement each new lesson and keep math fun and engaging. The homeschool math curriculum you use in the elementary grades will set the tone for your child’s math experience for years to come.
The Exploring Creation with Mathematics series utilizes a mastery approach with lots of review. The author, Kathryn Gomes, connects the topics using a built-in review with the skills practice sections. Hands-on projects introduce and reinforce concepts in a deeper way.
The author moves through the material following a specific progression and 4-step approach. Each lesson utilizes problems and projects and begins with a tangible presentation, then moves through a pictorial presentation of the concept, followed by an abstract presentation, and finishes with an application activity. The projects apply math to the student’s life to foster an appreciation for math and help them look forward to doing math every day.
Inside this course you will find:
- Seeing Our Creator devotionals at the beginning of each unit connect the math concepts your child will learn to God and His creation
- A suggested daily schedule, with thoughtful pacing through concepts that reflect a systematic progression from one skill to the next, is most important for eliminating frustration
- Plenty of skills practice, including fresh and exciting easy-to-set-up games to help ensure that your child is prepared for the next level of math concepts introduced
- Hands-on activities, games, and projects using the provided activity sheets and everyday household products give your child tangible connections to the abstract concepts learned
- Colorful and age-appropriate lesson layouts and page design make learning more inviting for your student
- Options and suggestions for adjusting a lesson if your child is struggling or if your child is advancing quickly through the material are provided
- Supply lists, answers to the problems, teaching tips, and suggestions for taking an activity further are also given
Review our math placement guide to determine which level will best fit your child.View Placement Guide
Daily Schedule and Supplies
The suggested Daily Schedule included with each course is based on four days a week for 28 weeks. We encourage you to adjust it to the needs of your child and your family’s schedule.
On average, each lesson takes 30 to 45 minutes. However, this time may vary if your child is taking a hands-on project a little further or is needing a little extra time to complete a skills practice. On a typical day, your student will spend about 5 to 10 minutes reviewing concepts previously learned, participate in a fun hands-on activity that introduces a new concept, and then apply the new concept by working through practice worksheets.
You will also need to gather some common household items and purchase a few common math manipulative items to fully use this course. Common household items include things like dry beans for counting. Math manipulatives include items like a base ten block set. A complete list is available for each grade, and materials are reused within different grades as applicable for concepts being taught.
5 Key Components to Exploring Creation with Mathematics, Level 2
This curriculum is designed around five key components essential to a successful elementary math program. These components were designed based on the author’s experience as a math teacher in both the homeschool co-op and school classroom settings:
- FUN! The design of each lesson and the carefully crafted activities present math as an accessible and exciting subject. If students are flipping ahead to see what’s next, they will bring enthusiasm and openness to each new lesson. These positive emotions make it easier for their brains to soak up the content.
- Skills Practice. At the elementary level, a sizable part of the content includes math facts that must be memorized. Other skills must be rehearsed over a longer period of time for mastery to occur. Main skills are introduced in each lesson and strategically practiced 5-10 minutes a day.
- Christian Connection. Each unit in Exploring Creation with Mathematics begins with a Seeing Our Creator section that connects God to the concepts the student will be learning. Math is part of creation, and it mirrors aspects of God’s character; His beauty, faithfulness, and love can all be seen when studying math.
- Carefully Crafted Conceptual Content. The progression of each unit is carefully mapped out to offer just the right level of challenge each day. At the end of each unit, students apply what they learned to the fields of art, science, or business through a cumulative project.
- Ease of Use. The structure is simple: each day, complete the lesson & skills practice on the daily schedule. The answer key contains the answers, teacher’s notes, suggestions for the lessons, and reusable pages you need to complete the course.
About the Author of Exploring Creation with Mathematics
A homeschooled student herself, Kathryn (Bell) Gomes holds an M. Ed. in mathematics from the University of Pennsylvania and a B.S. in mathematics from the University of Pittsburgh. She has taught math to homeschooled students for thirteen years and is very familiar with the challenges of learning math at home.
Kathryn spent three years teaching mathematics in inner-city Philadelphia through Teach for America. She then taught in the most ethnically diverse high school in Pennsylvania. During this time, Kathryn designed Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 curricula for English Language Learners. Now one of her great passions is improving mathematics education for homeschoolers by increasing rigor while still maintaining the creativity and free-thinking that she enjoyed in her schooling.
Please note: This product is for the spiral-bound All-in-One Student Text and Workbook and does NOT include the Teaching Guide and Answer Key.