Exploring Creation with Earth Science is part of the award-winning Young Explorer Series, voted the #1 homeschool science curriculum.
What is Included in This Apologia Advantage Set
- Exploring Creation with Earth Science Textbook
- Exploring Creation with Earth Science Junior Notebooking Journal (recommended for grades K-2)
Homeschool Earth Science – Exploring Creation with Earth Science
This course is for elementary grades. As with all other titles in the Young Explorer Series, Exploring Creation with Earth Science is designed to have no prerequisites. We encourage you to follow your student’s interests when choosing a Young Explorer title. There is not a particular order in which to complete the books in the series.
Encourage your young explorers to interact with their world by choosing an elementary homeschool science course that walks alongside students and talks with them as it investigates and points out the science behind everyday occurrences.
Let’s dig in the dirt, not just talk about it. What is it? How did it get made? Why is it different depending on where you dig? What will you find living in it?
Let’s realize that we don’t get deliveries from outer space so everything we need, literally everything, is given to us and made fresh with the systems created to keep life forms alive throughout time. How does the Earth replenish its resources again, and again, and again? Join us in Exploring Creation with Earth Science and find out!
Your young explorer will begin this course with an overview of our cosmic address in the observable universe and then grow in knowledge of what, in the entire universe, makes Earth special and capable of sustaining life.
An awareness of the world will develop as students interact with the Earth’s geosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere. By digging deeper into the many different layers of the Earth and the cycles that renew the face of the Earth, your student will acquire not only a wisdom that will endure for a lifetime, but also an appreciation for our Creator. You may browse the course by clicking the button below.
The sample opens in a new tab.
What Does Exploring Creation with Earth Science Cover?
Your young explorer will begin this course with an overview of our cosmic address in the observable universe and then grow in the knowledge of what, in the entire universe, makes Earth special and capable of sustaining life.
An awareness of the world will develop as students interact with the geosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere of the Earth. By digging deeper into the many different layers of the Earth and the cycles that renew the face of the Earth, they will acquire not only wisdom that will endure for a lifetime but also an appreciation for our Creator.
There are 14 lessons included in this one-year earth science course. A detailed lesson plan is included in the Notebooking Journal.
- Lesson 1: The Observable Universe
- Lesson 2: Life in the Habitable Zone
- Lesson 3: Spheres of the Earth
- Lesson 4: Mapping Your World
- Lesson 5: The Geosphere
- Lesson 6: Making and Shaping the Land
- Lesson 7: The Hydrosphere
- Lesson 8: Th Atmosphere
- Lesson 9: Climate and Weather
- Lesson 10: Weather Forecasting
- Lesson 11: The Biosphere
- Lesson 12; Cycles of Life
- Lesson 13: Places on Earth
- Lesson 14: God in Creation
Features of Exploring Creation with Earth Science
- Based on the Charlotte Mason philosophy of learning
- Filled with spectacular photos and graphics
- Easy to incorporate into your homeschool plan with the Suggested Weekly Schedule, which is included in the Notebooking Journal
- Packed with a wide variety of engaging hands-on activities
- Has one special project that winds its way through its lessons. Students build and map out a globe as they grow in their understanding of our planet. It will remind them of all that they’ve learned as they display it through the years.
What Do I Need to Use This Homeschool Earth Science Course?
To complete this earth science course, we recommend the hardcover textbook and spiral Notebooking Journal (grades 3-6) or the Junior Notebooking Journal for early elementary ages or children with limited writing skills.
Our earth science course for elementary grades is packed with a variety of hands-on activities, experiments, and projects. These can be completed with household materials. You can view the complete list of lab supplies by viewing the sample.
Click the button below to view a sample of this course, including the textbook, Table of Contents, Lab Supply List, and sample pages from the corresponding notebooks.
The sample opens in a new tab.
What Are Some of the Activities in This Earth Science Course?
Listed below are just a few of the many engaging hands-on activities in this course. Click the View Sample button to view sample lessons from the textbook, Notebooking Journal, Junior Notebooking Journal, the Table of Contents with a complete listing of all the topics and activities, and the Lab Supply List.
- A Galaxy Mobile
- A Goldilocks Zone
- A Globe and add features to it throughout the course!
Use Hands-On Activities to Understand:
- Invisible Forces
- Tectonic Plate Movement
- Sunlight and Seasons
- Weather and Climate
- Unique Places on Earth and the Science Behind Them
- Cycles and Scientists
- Personal Thoughts
- Fascinating Facts
And So Much More…
What is the Daily Schedule for Earth Science?
We have provided a detailed schedule for Earth Science in the front of each Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal. This schedule specifically outlines what to read and what activities to complete.
In keeping with the other titles in the Young Explorer Series, the schedule is similar. On average, you should expect to spend about two weeks per lesson. There are 14 lessons in Exploring Creation with Earth Science, so the entire course takes about 28 weeks to complete. We encourage families to adapt the schedule to fit their needs. Since most school years are longer than 28 weeks, there is plenty of time to fit in family holidays and breaks as needed. Just like the other books in the Young Explorer Series, a Suggested Weekly Schedule is included in the Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal.
Notebooking Journal for Exploring Creation with Earth Science
A perfect complement to Exploring Creation with Earth Science, the Earth Science Notebooking Journal provides everything your student needs to complete this study of earth science.
The Notebooking Journals can be used with multiple ages within a family with great ease. The Notebooking Journals are specifically designed with the elementary student in mind. They are fun and interactive with an abundance of colorful, hands-on activities to add to your child’s excitement with science.
This Notebooking Journal will serve as your child’s individual notebook, providing a place for them to complete every assignment in the text. Each lesson begins with a coloring page for the student to color while he or she listens to the reading of the text. These pages provide opportunities for active learning while reinforcing the lesson’s content. Following are pages with templates designed to encourage creative expression and written narration. The student can illustrate what they’ve learned and write a sentence or two about the topic.
Next, the student is given the opportunity to work with and learn key vocabulary words presented in the text. Also included are helpful and easy-to-follow graphics, engaging mini-books, areas for creative writing, crosswords, and much more. These learning activities are not only interesting, but they also increase the student’s retention of both the important terms and the subject matter presented in the lessons.
To make planning a breeze, a detailed schedule is included in the Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal. This schedule lists the pages to read in the textbook and the pages to complete in the journal. You may view a sample by clicking on the button below.
The sample opens in a new tab.
The Benefits of Using the Notebooking Journal?
Keeping a scientific notebook has always been standard scientific practice. Apologia’s Notebooking Journal has been designed to:
- Facilitate retention and provide documentation of your student’s education. The unique personal written and artistic expressions incorporate both sides of the brain.
- Be flexible and allow for multilevel learning. A twelve-year-old student may write an essay and make an elaborate illustration, while a six-year-old may write one sentence with a stick-figure drawing
- Help students record experiences, observations, and thoughts
- Engage students in the scientific process
- Provide a written history that students can reference as they explore new subject areas
- Give your student a place where they can record and organize experiences and observations
- Provide a place to review their notes to create opinions and draw conclusions about the way their world works
What’s the Difference between the Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal?
The regular Notebooking Journal for Exploring Creation with Earth Science is recommended for use with students who have mastered handwriting, can take notes, and enjoy upper elementary level activities. The Junior Notebooking Journals are designed for younger students who are still developing basic writing skills. These journals have wider writing lines and include the dotted mid-line to guide beginner writers.
The Notebooking Journal and Junior Notebooking Journal are designed to work together to help accommodate teaching multiple ages in your homeschool.
What Is Included in the Exploring Creation with Earth Science Notebooking Journal?
In this Junior Notebooking Journal, you will find:
- A Suggested Schedule for completing the readings, notebooking assignments, activities, and experiments utilizing a two-day per week plan
- Templates for your student to record what he or she learned in each lesson, using both words and illustrations
- Coloring pages
- Creative templates for completing the Notebooking assignments
- Vocabulary activities to help learn important terms
- Project Pages and other sheets for your student to use to keep records of experiments, projects, and activities completed throughout the course
- Beautiful, full-color Miniature Books for your student to create, encouraging him or her to record facts and information learned in each lesson
- Helpful and engaging graphics to help your student visualize and understand concepts
Your child will treasure this Junior Notebooking Journal as he makes it his very own with words and illustrations, reflecting all he has learned in his pursuit of science. Additionally, the journal will serve as your record of your student’s scientific endeavors throughout the year. When your child flips through his notebook, he will be reminded of the knowledge he has attained as he peruses the pages he has created. A variety of activities include full-color mini-books, additional fun experiments, crosswords, and supplementary materials.
You may view a sample by clicking on the button below.
The sample opens in a new tab.
Additional Information About Apologia’s Young Explorer Series:
New to Apologia’s Young Explorer Series for K-6 homeschool science? Visit the Young Explorer Series information page to learn more.